Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you feel something is wrong, DON'T WAIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

A little background: I'm 28, was diagnosed at age 20 with PCOS and infertility, and just started getting my period regularly (27-33 days) this past year. Prior to that it was maybe once a year, also before TTC I always used the barrier method but was never on any other type of contraceptive. My husband and I have been not trying not preventing (NTNP) for about 4 years, and really checking into things (mostly OPK's) this past year or so. We also got him an SA (perfectly normal). 

I went to the doctor on March 2nd, for my yearly exam and because we were asking help into TTC. They scheduled an ultrasound (on the 16th) to make sure my ovaries were clear and start fertility meds (Femara). I mentioned some spotting in between periods and they said it could be something more so they'd check on the ultrasound

They scheduled an ultrasound and it turns out I have a "larger than normal" cyst on my ovary, 16mm which is a little more than half an inch. This is very scary to me as it ovarian cysts can burst causing not only pain but can possibly cause permanent damage to your ovaries, they can also cause ovarian torsion (basically twisting your ovary), neither of which I want at all but certainly not at only 28. They have given me two weeks worth of low dose birth control pills to help shrink the cyst and will recheck it on the 30th.

The message is this: First, always get your yearly exam, yes I know it's a pain but if I hadn't gone, who knows what would have happened. If you feel like something is wrong, DON'T IGNORE IT, speak up and don't let anyone (even the doctor) tell you otherwise, NO ONE knows your body better then you. I have a great doctor right now but not everyone does (I've been through two awful ones), they are human just like us. Be your own health advocate. Looking back my irregular bleeding/spotting and worse than normal cramps (I don't normally get them and when I do they are rarely that bad), backaches that I thought were due a chronic herniated disc acting up were all little signs that something was wrong.

Thankfully they caught it and can hopefully do these things that will work and I won't have to have surgery or have permanent damage to my ovaries. I was not in a large amount of pain at all like people, including myself, would think. Yes I had cramping during my cycle and spotting in between but I assumed it was normal, yes i had a backache but I also have a herniated disc. DON'T WAIT until it's too late or be stubborn until you are in excruciating pain to go to the doctor.

Everyone has different views on faith/religion but I truly believe this was God/the universe/my intuition (whatever you want to call it) telling me I needed to have this checked out before something much worse happened.

Be safe ladies!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2017 at 2:31 PM
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Mar. 19, 2017 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't. I got it checked out as scared as I was.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2017 at 2:33 PM
My cysts turned to tumors that were over 10cm each! Good luck!
engagedandproud
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 2:33 PM
They don't do yearly exams here
Catherinesmom12
by on Mar. 19, 2017 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
The two week rule is a good rule of thumb
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 19, 2017 at 2:35 PM
I think women who don't take care of themselves are crazy. I'll never understand why.
1kidmomajm
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 2:35 PM

GOod info!  

DixonBabies
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 2:38 PM

Good luck with everything :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 19, 2017 at 2:44 PM
I have pcos....every single time I lost weight, I got pregnant. Every time.
kman88
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 2:47 PM

This. I went in for my yearly pap and they didnt even do it. Told me to come back in 2019. 

Quoting engagedandproud: They don't do yearly exams here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)