Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should parents have different hopes for their sons and daughters?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

Do/will you have different hopes and standards for your sons and daughters? Why?

ETA:

Do you expect them both to get in college? What about grades? Do you expect more of one gender than the other?

What about the old saying: 

Sugar and spice and everything nice; That's what little girls are made of.

Snips and snails and puppy-dog tails; That's what little boys are made of."

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2017 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noneya73
by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
No parents should hope that both their sons and daughters are health, happy and do well in school are lucky enough to find good jobs and eventually marry good people.
belle2780
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 8:51 AM
Nope I am concerned equally about both kids in terms of health and education and making sure their needs are addressed so they can get the best education possible to allow them to be independent adults in the future. I want both of them to be happy and succeed at whatever they choose to do in life.
Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 8:52 AM
I've never Googled either term. There's a lot of searches on special ed, autism, and "is X safe to eat". DD7's BMI is right at the very bottom of normal.
I.Cant.Even....
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 8:55 AM
I do. They are different people so I have different hopes and dreams for them based on who they are. Neither of those topics are an issue in my head.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Well thats the norm... We all want that.

But what about grades?

Do you expect them both to get in college? 

Sugar and spice and everything nice; That's what little girls are made of." This is a stark contrast to what the poem states little boys are made of: "What are little boys made of, made of? What are little boys made of? Snips and snails and puppy-dog tails; That's what little boys are made of."

Quoting Noneya73: No parents should hope that both their sons and daughters are health, happy and do well in school are lucky enough to find good jobs and eventually marry good people.

caito
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:02 AM

No, I have just about the same standards

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Bump for update in OP.

SueWanda
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:03 AM

I hope my daughter will get into UPenn because that's her dream.  I hope my son gets his head out of his ass and passes Math.

TBH, son is every bit as smart as daughter.  Every bit as capable.  He's just driving me crazy atm.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:05 AM
While there are differences between boys and girls, in general, not always - for instance I was more typically masculine than feminine as a child - I hope parents tailor their hopes to the personality, temperment, and intelligence of each individual child.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Well thats the norm... We all want that.

But what about grades?

Do you expect them both to get in college? 

Sugar and spice and everything nice; That's what little girls are made of." This is a stark contrast to what the poem states little boys are made of: "What are little boys made of, made of? What are little boys made of? Snips and snails and puppy-dog tails; That's what little boys are made of."

Quoting Noneya73: No parents should hope that both their sons and daughters are health, happy and do well in school are lucky enough to find good jobs and eventually marry good people.

highlandmum
by Spunky on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:05 AM

No, I have the same standards.  I expect them to all work to their full potential in everything they do.  I want them to succeed in the career of their choice. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)