Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NON BINARY, Assigning gender, etc. Thoughts?????

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am not the one to tell people what to do with their lives, but if these same people who want respect think the world should all identify as not male or female and cater to them, then I am very much against that. I DON'T believe it's all people wanting this but I do wonder how far this will catch on? I have already seen rants about "assigning" babies a gender and how wrong that is.

How about people who are not comfortable with gender roles do their thing and everyone do theirs?

Where do you stand with gender?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:05 AM
Replies (131-140):
couture-mommy
by Catfish on Mar. 21, 2017 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Why do you NEED to pick a gender?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Why what?

Quoting couture-mommy: Why?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

I think everyone is born a gender...if you choose to change that gender later in life that is your choicebut everyone is a gender...there is no such thing as being genderlessYou can be a man that dresses as a woman or a woman that dresses as a man either part time or fulltimeYou can be a man that transitions to a woman and is now a woman....same with a woman to a man....But at the end of the day you DO need to pick a gender

momto2boys973
by Emerald Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 9:28 AM
I think it's getting ridiculous. Gender is a huge part of our identity. And it's biology, gender differentiation occurs everywhere in nature.
Maybe instead of trying to look for"equality" be denying our differences, we should realize that being different doesn't mean one it's better than the other and we should all be given the same value based on those differences.
And although I personally don't care what others choose to do, we're born with a gender. Banning genetic anomalies ("anomalies" being the operative word...), we're born XX or XY, which determined our gender. "Feeling" you're something else doesn't change that fact. Going through extreme artificial means to change your appearance doesn't change that fact. I believe it's a form of BDD and we're doing a disservice to the people suffering from it by normalizing and even glorifying it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Mar. 21, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Because that is how nature works
there is no such thing as "genderless"

If you are a man that transitioned to a woman...you're a woman
If you're a woman that transitioned to a man you're a man

If you're a man that just dresses like a woman either full or part time you're still a man
If you're a woman that dresses like a man either full or part time you're still a woman

Quoting couture-mommy: Why do you NEED to pick a gender?
Quoting Anonymous 31:

Why what?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

I think everyone is born a gender...if you choose to change that gender later in life that is your choicebut everyone is a gender...there is no such thing as being genderlessYou can be a man that dresses as a woman or a woman that dresses as a man either part time or fulltimeYou can be a man that transitions to a woman and is now a woman....same with a woman to a man....But at the end of the day you DO need to pick a gender

couture-mommy
by Catfish on Mar. 21, 2017 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
You have already said that, but I'm asking WHY do you NEED to pick?
Pick for who?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Because that is how nature worksthere is no such thing as "genderless"If you are a man that transitioned to a woman...you're a womanIf you're a woman that transitioned to a man you're a manIf you're a man that just dresses like a woman either full or part time you're still a manIf you're a woman that dresses like a man either full or part time you're still a woman

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Why what?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Mar. 21, 2017 at 9:39 AM

you don't have an OPTION not to choose

You are born a gender...you either stay that gender....OR you transition into the opposite gender
There is no in between where you are genderless

What is so difficult to understand about that?

Quoting couture-mommy: You have already said that, but I'm asking WHY do you NEED to pick? Pick for who?
Quoting Anonymous 31:

Because that is how nature worksthere is no such thing as "genderless"If you are a man that transitioned to a woman...you're a womanIf you're a woman that transitioned to a man you're a manIf you're a man that just dresses like a woman either full or part time you're still a manIf you're a woman that dresses like a man either full or part time you're still a woman

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Why what?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

ShesSoUnusual
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 9:40 AM
Assigning them a sex at birth is the norm for us and I'm fine with that. If they feel differently when they're older, that's fine.

As far as the transgender/non-binary thing, I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm female and always will be and love it. So I can't wrap my head around being any other way.

I watch Ellen every day and saw a actress on there I've never heard of. Apparently she identifies as both non-binary and female. She said she always thought of herself as queer yet she's dating a man. Color me confused.
couture-mommy
by Catfish on Mar. 21, 2017 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
If someone says they identify as "genderless" I don't see anything wrong with that.
Medically, yes they will have a gender but if they call themselves genderless what does that matter?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

you don't have an OPTION not to chooseYou are born a gender...you either stay that gender....OR you transition into the opposite genderThere is no in between where you are genderlessWhat is so difficult to understand about that?

Quoting couture-mommy: You have already said that, but I'm asking WHY do you NEED to pick?
Pick for who?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Why what?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Mar. 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Because its not a thing

I can call myself a bird....doesn't mean I actually am

Quoting couture-mommy: If someone says they identify as "genderless" I don't see anything wrong with that. Medically, yes they will have a gender but if they call themselves genderless what does that matter?
Quoting Anonymous 31:

you don't have an OPTION not to chooseYou are born a gender...you either stay that gender....OR you transition into the opposite genderThere is no in between where you are genderlessWhat is so difficult to understand about that?

Quoting couture-mommy: You have already said that, but I'm asking WHY do you NEED to pick? Pick for who?
Quoting Anonymous 31:

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Why what?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

couture-mommy
by Catfish on Mar. 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
So? Who is it hurting?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Because its not a thingI can call myself a bird....doesn't mean I actually am

Quoting couture-mommy: If someone says they identify as "genderless" I don't see anything wrong with that.
Medically, yes they will have a gender but if they call themselves genderless what does that matter?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Quoting couture-mommy: You have already said that, but I'm asking WHY do you NEED to pick?
Pick for who?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Why what?

Quoting Anonymous 31:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2017 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I do agree with you. 

I am about let and let live, but at the same time I do wonder about the disservice by making it normal and maybe they need help . The way society is now, I can't see that being the norm though, people getting help for these issues.

I find the rants stupid. People who get mad because someone says their boy is a boy and how they are assigning gender and causing issues, is getting ridiculous. For some, it's not enough that they have rights, but they want others to think like them. Rights seems to come down to personal rights and controlling others rather than actual rights( to some).

I DO NOT believe gender is in the brain but if someone wants to think that I don't think much can be done as I said earlier. I don't see any resources , but maybe I am wrong.

Quoting momto2boys973: I think it's getting ridiculous. Gender is a huge part of our identity. And it's biology, gender differentiation occurs everywhere in nature. Maybe instead of trying to look for"equality" be denying our differences, we should realize that being different doesn't mean one it's better than the other and we should all be given the same value based on those differences. And although I personally don't care what others choose to do, we're born with a gender. Banning genetic anomalies ("anomalies" being the operative word...), we're born XX or XY, which determined our gender. "Feeling" you're something else doesn't change that fact. Going through extreme artificial means to change your appearance doesn't change that fact. I believe it's a form of BDD and we're doing a disservice to the people suffering from it by normalizing and even glorifying it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN