Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BM wants us to help pay for their daughters 16th bday party.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My SOs daughter turns 16 in a couple months. We've been asking and asking what she wants to do. We don't throw bday parties for our kids. They pick something they want to do and take friends. But for her 16th we thought she would want a big party. So she says she does but can't have one party with everyone because her grandma (bms mom) can't behave and that her mom would expect her to entertain her family not her friends. So I told her to think about it. If she really wanted a party we would get together with BM and throw her a party.

She came to me the other day and Told me she figured out what she wanted to do. She wants to go to Vegas and take one friend go to a nice dinner and a show. Our kids love vegas.

Cue the phone call from BM to my SO.
- We need to figure out what we are going to do for her bday. It's coming up we need to find a place to have it. But your chick (lol me) can't come because my mom can't stand her. Also my sister can't come. (Yes she hates her own sister). She also said that her dads gf couldn't come.

My so told her that we talked to her and she said she didn't want a party. And just wanted a trip to Vegas. she asked aboutvus paying for half the party. He said no but if you are going to cook for it I will supply the food (he's a distributor). And if you need tables and chairs my friend won't charge you.

Now she's telling their daughter that her daddy doesn't care about her sweet sixteen bday. And that now she can't have a big party because she can't afford it. And telling her or talk to her dad and butter him up to help. BM sending this all in text to her while shes here with us laying on the guilt about how her dad doesn't give a shit. It just fucking sucks for her.

Yes yes another BM vent. Sorry but some of them just suck.

ETA. To be clear. She will not be going alone to vegas with her friend. And they will not be going off in Vegas alone either. They will always have an adult with them. I have a nanny. We take her as an extra set of hands.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2017 at 6:21 PM
Replies (141-144):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2017 at 1:42 PM
To her that might not be "that much money".

Also in some families big sweet sixteen parties are traditional.

Quoting cutebaby06:

Why in the fuck would you spend that much on some stupid party?

Quoting Anonymous 9: Have you ever thrown a true Sweet 16? It's a mini wedding. Total cost for my daughter's was 12k.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

I think food + tables and chairs would be the biggest cost of a party, wouldn't it? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Mar. 23, 2017 at 1:47 PM

At 16 she is old enough to see the entire situation.  It's her call / choice to make.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 23, 2017 at 2:00 PM
Why not?

We can.

We are not poor.

It is normal here.

It was fun.

My child deserves it.

Shall I go on?

Quoting cutebaby06:

Quoting Anonymous 9: Have you ever thrown a true Sweet 16? It's a mini wedding. Total cost for my daughter's was 12k.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

I think food + tables and chairs would be the biggest cost of a party, wouldn't it? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2017 at 2:11 PM
Of course keep going. People don't realize that just because they think that is a lot of money doesn't mean it really is to the person that is spending it.

Quoting Anonymous 9: Why not?

We can.

We are not poor.

It is normal here.

It was fun.

My child deserves it.

Shall I go on?

Quoting cutebaby06:

Quoting Anonymous 4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN