Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you helpful when it comes to eating balanced?

Want to start balancing our eating habits a bit better, were not awful, but we could still make some changes to what we consume.

Its 2 adults and 2 kids. One has many eating aversions, and has a specific diet, so its mainly just 2 adults and a 16 month old, who eats pretty much anything, we toss her way. lol 

Can you give me a sample of what your balanced, breakfast, snacks, lunches and dinners look like?

by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:44 PM
Replies (11-17):
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Mar. 21, 2017 at 12:57 AM
Adding vegetables to your meals is easy and a good first step. Serve salads with dinner.

Balance your calories: 40% Carbs. 40% Protein. 20% Fat (make them smart fats).

Replaced bread and pasta with vegetables for most meals. Spaghetti squash to replace pasta. "Riced" veggies or quinoa in place of rice. Also, as my husband reminds me, daily, that corn is not a vegetable.
Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:03 AM

Thank you for the % that is what I am looking for.

We eat veggies and salad with every meal, except when we make a junkier type meal on the weekends, or order out.. Were not big on using squash instead of noodles, I need my real pasta and my bread and my rice, I could never give that up, we make our bread, cook with real rice, but I do buy my pasta from the store.

Quoting LovlyRita: Adding vegetables to your meals is easy and a good first step. Serve salads with dinner. Balance your calories: 40% Carbs. 40% Protein. 20% Fat (make them smart fats). Replaced bread and pasta with vegetables for most meals. Spaghetti squash to replace pasta. "Riced" veggies or quinoa in place of rice. Also, as my husband reminds me, daily, that corn is not a vegetable.

LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:13 AM
Oh. We eat bread and rice, but in much smaller portions than the average American family. They are tasty, but offer little nutrition. Boudin's sourdough is awesome.

My husband maintains 15% body fat (I try to hold 25%) so we really don't waste our calories on filler.

He also just commented that water is key to a healthy diet. He drinks only 3 beverages: water, coffee and beer. He thinks adults shouldn't drink milk, unless they like the taste, but it should be part of their 40%protein and 20% fat in take.
Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:20 AM

Ah yes, water, my posion, I never drink it, i am a strict coffee drinker, its my main liquid I put in my body. I can't stand milk, we only buy 3% because its just for the kids.  My df drinks water, milk, beer, coffee and whatever else, I am far more selective on that.

We do rice a few different ways, but could tone down on how much, I tend to eat as a snack some days, so easy make.

Quoting LovlyRita: Oh. We eat bread and rice, but in much smaller portions than the average American family. They are tasty, but offer little nutrition. Boudin's sourdough is awesome. My husband maintains 15% body fat (I try to hold 25%) so we really don't waste our calories on filler. He also just commented that water is key to a healthy diet. He drinks only 3 beverages: water, coffee and beer. He thinks adults shouldn't drink milk, unless they like the taste, but it should be part of their 40%protein and 20% fat in take.

LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:31 AM
Try mixing in brown rice or quinoa. Also, it is best to avoid all "instant" foods: rice, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, chicken stock, etc. I didn't believe it, but I made the switch a few years ago and I feel fuller and health is improved (albeit slightly).

If you drink the "8 glasses" it helps regulate your overall water weight, prevents you from being dehydrated and overeating. Coffee is a slight diuretic due to the caffeine, so at best it is neutral hydration.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:54 AM
What kind of diet? My kids have two options eat with or without a sore bottom. I dont do picky eating as im good at making what everyone will eat so being picky is not an option. My kids get 10 minutes to eat. If they are on second servings thats different but sometimes they dont want to eat so then it goes out the window. Kids friends come over the plates are taken after the 10 minutes, no dessert and my kids know theyre in trouble for wasting food.
angkorsaway
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:59 AM

oatmeal, yogurt or smoothies are usually breakfast but in a pinch it's cereal and oj. 

lunch for my kids is turkey sandwich, soup or pasta with snacks.

snacks are pretzels, chips/salsa, hummus, apples, oranges, fruit leathers, milk, nuts, protein bars.

dinner is protein, rice/quinoa/potato and a vegetable. This is most often unless I make tacos, stir fry, spaghetti or something that isn't fish, chicken, soup, chili, etc. We eat a lot of veggies and almost no red meat and 80 percent organic. Not a lot of cheese or bread.

My kids are teens though. We do okay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN