Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you agree with dh or me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies
We are having a disagreement​ concerning DS bedtime.

DS just turned 14. Dh works nights shift so at night it is just DS and me at home. She recently I have raised DS bedtime sun- Thursday is now 10 pm. It was 9 pm. Dh is ok with that. He doesn't agree with weekends.

Now, I want to add, dh and I usually sleep in on weekends until at least 11. Dh has to keep his schedule. So he stays up until 4 am. Me, i have insomnia so if I don't have to take sleeping pills I don't. So I usually sit up until 3 am.

So with ds he doesn't have a bedtime on weekends. He does take medication EVERY night so on the weekends I give it to him at 1 and I let him stay up until he falls asleep. Dh doesn't agree. He says he needs a bedtime. I don't see the why. We all sleep late..

DS is a good kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taiyo218
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:33 PM
My 14 year old boys lights out 10pm... they wake up early and relax. I do the same, even on weekends I'm up before 7am. I know some families lean more towards being night owls, and I think it's fine if both parents agree and it isn't impacting the kids during the school week. However in this case I'd try to find a compromise since you both don't agree.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:34 PM
Dd is 8. And anything more than a one hour time shift makes her mean. So week days 8:30. Weekends 9:30. Exdh let's her stay up to whenever but that's because he likes to sleep till 5 pm.
WemblyFraggle
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:35 PM
I didn't have a bed time on weekends when I was a teen, but I had better have my ass out of bed by the time everyone was ready to start the day on Saturday or sunday
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:36 PM
Why not compromise with a "go to your room" time?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:36 PM
I don't think he needs one either, as long as he isn't staying up until 3 or 4. That's too hard to adjust back to the beginning of the week if it's that late.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:36 PM
We don't really do anything tbh. We sit home all weekend.

Quoting WemblyFraggle: I didn't have a bed time on weekends when I was a teen, but I had better have my ass out of bed by the time everyone was ready to start the day on Saturday or sunday
ShannonAKAmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:37 PM
I'd say a set schedule is always best. I think it helps prevent future sleeping problems.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:38 PM
Well I'm not sure about the last part of your post, but my 8 year old is also 8:30 during school and 9:30 on weekends and breaks.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Dd is 8. And anything more than a one hour time shift makes her mean. So week days 8:30. Weekends 9:30. Exdh let's her stay up to whenever but that's because he likes to sleep till 5 pm.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:38 PM
He does stay in his room. In fact he rarely come out of his room. He is a gamer. When I give him his meds at 1. He is to go to his room and calm down.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Why not compromise with a "go to your room" time?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:41 PM
It is the weekend, I don't see the harm in him staying up, it's a great reward for being a good kid and its only on Friday and Saturday. I have a 16 year old, 14year old and 7 year old. The 16 year old has 10:30 curfew from Sunday-Thursday and 11:30 Friday and Saturday. My 14 year old is in bed by 10 pm during the week and on the weekend 11:30. The seven year old is in bed by 8:30 every night.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN