Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you agree with dh or me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We are having a disagreement​ concerning DS bedtime.

DS just turned 14. Dh works nights shift so at night it is just DS and me at home. She recently I have raised DS bedtime sun- Thursday is now 10 pm. It was 9 pm. Dh is ok with that. He doesn't agree with weekends.

Now, I want to add, dh and I usually sleep in on weekends until at least 11. Dh has to keep his schedule. So he stays up until 4 am. Me, i have insomnia so if I don't have to take sleeping pills I don't. So I usually sit up until 3 am.

So with ds he doesn't have a bedtime on weekends. He does take medication EVERY night so on the weekends I give it to him at 1 and I let him stay up until he falls asleep. Dh doesn't agree. He says he needs a bedtime. I don't see the why. We all sleep late..

DS is a good kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:31 PM
Replies (61-63):
emandab
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2017 at 12:46 AM
At 14 I would care a lot less, but I still care a lot when it's my 9 yr old and it's very true even though she isn't a toddler.
Quoting Anonymous 1: Even before meds my son would wake up at 6 am and still have insomnia. I have never been like oh crap he slept until 11. Plus that only hold True for toddlers not Teenagers.

Quoting emandab: That's why I said you have the medication to help put him to sleep. You, unlike most parents, don't have to go "oh crap my kid slept till 11, he's never going to get to sleep tonight!"

Really I don't give a fuck but your husband is right.

Quoting Anonymous 1: My son goes to sleep fine. Yes he take medication not for sleeping it is a side effect and even before meds he still had insomnia even when he went to bed every night at 8 pm. My son has ADHD. ADHD comes with insomnia. I love it when total stranger bact like they know your child better than you and they have never even met them

Quoting emandab: Did you miss he part where sleeping till noon makes it hard to go to sleep at an appropriate time that night. But I guess you have the medication to work to your advantage.
Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't game and my son gets up fine on Monday morning and he gets in bed at 10 pm sun- Thursday. Or did you miss that part of the post.

Quoting emandab: Except when you sleep till noon on Sunday and sit on your butt all day gaming, it's difficult to get to bed at a decent time for school Monday morning. Also probably why you have insomnia. It's hard to go to sleep when, from what you described, you stay up late sleep late and don't do anything physically. Yeah I can't sleep at night either on my day off if I slept in and did nothing for the rest of the day. Which I do plenty of, don't get me wrong.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He's completely fine on the weekends

Quoting Anonymous 13: Which is why I said 11 or midnight and not 9-10.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He's 14 not 8 and we all sleep late on the weekends

Quoting Anonymous 13: I believe every kid benefits from a consistent routine...I've seen what happens with a routine vs. none. Even if you bump his bedtime up to 11 or midnight...I think it's ridiculous that you don't get him to bed before 1.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We are having a disagreement� concerning DS bedtime.

DS just turned 14. Dh works nights shift so at night it is just DS and me at home. She recently I have raised DS bedtime sun- Thursday is now 10 pm. It was 9 pm. Dh is ok with that. He doesn't agree with weekends.

Now, I want to add, dh and I usually sleep in on weekends until at least 11. Dh has to keep his schedule. So he stays up until 4 am. Me, i have insomnia so if I don't have to take sleeping pills I don't. So I usually sit up until 3 am.

So with ds he doesn't have a bedtime on weekends. He does take medication EVERY night so on the weekends I give it to him at 1 and I let him stay up until he falls asleep. Dh doesn't agree. He says he needs a bedtime. I don't see the why. We all sleep late..

DS is a good kid.
anchorturtle
by silly rabbit on Mar. 22, 2017 at 12:49 AM
This!

Quoting ShannonAKAmom: I'd say a set schedule is always best. I think it helps prevent future sleeping problems.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Mar. 22, 2017 at 1:09 AM

My kids have never had bed times on Friday or Saturday and I didn't give a shit what time they got up on Saturday or Sunday unless we have plans.

DD16 gets home from work around 930pm Mon - Thurs and she is in bed sleeping by 11pm most nights.

DS18 gets home from work around 1030pm Mon - Thurs and he is in bed sleeping by 12am most nights. 

At 14 they were to be in their rooms by 930pm and lights out by 10pm 

Quoting Anonymous 1: We are having a disagreement​ concerning DS bedtime. DS just turned 14. Dh works nights shift so at night it is just DS and me at home. She recently I have raised DS bedtime sun- Thursday is now 10 pm. It was 9 pm. Dh is ok with that. He doesn't agree with weekends. Now, I want to add, dh and I usually sleep in on weekends until at least 11. Dh has to keep his schedule. So he stays up until 4 am. Me, i have insomnia so if I don't have to take sleeping pills I don't. So I usually sit up until 3 am. So with ds he doesn't have a bedtime on weekends. He does take medication EVERY night so on the weekends I give it to him at 1 and I let him stay up until he falls asleep. Dh doesn't agree. He says he needs a bedtime. I don't see the why. We all sleep late.. DS is a good kid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN