Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Middle class families getting free college & university tuition in New York

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
The bill has been passed. The family has to make less than $120k yearly income

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/08/pf/college/new-york-free-tuition/index.html

Are they doing anything like this where you live?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:44 AM
Ha we will see. Bet my kids get jack
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:45 AM
Up, up, up go the taxes! I like how they left out what the tax increase would be in the article.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:49 AM
Of course they do conveniently

Quoting Anonymous 2: Up, up, up go the taxes! I like how they left out what the tax increase would be in the article.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:52 AM
Middle class families in NY make up $150000 per year. I think that will help, but obviously they're not really targeting those who live in HCO living areas such as the 5 boroughs.
mamaracheli
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:56 AM
Part of me is okay with this. It doesn't cover room and board, I believe and it's dependent on the student maintaining a certain GOA and residency requirements. So a good student who maybe thought they couldn't afford to go will go. My family makes less than 125K now but my children are still young so I can't speak for the future. I think the income bracket raises to like 150K eventually (I think I read this in another article but don't quote me). But of course free isn't really free. New York, especially downstate since I have no clue about upstate, is already expensive. We'll see how this plays out. And it only covers SUNY and CUNYs which are less expensive than privat schools. Private college students are on their own.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:57 AM
I think this is great.
carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:58 AM

It would be nice if it was like that everywhere.

Since my SO works at a university/hospital, I could go for free if I chose, and so can our kids. We would just have to pay for books and any lab fees, etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:59 AM
I think so too. I'm surprised they consider over 100k middle class, but it is NY

Quoting Anonymous 4: I think this is great.
SashaIsPretty
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:59 AM
I have mixed feelings about this. We are already paying school tax, while my kids do not attend public school, not we would have to pay "college tax"? At the same time, it's a huge help for low and middle class families.
carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Of all things taxes pay for, this is one of the best, IMO. Maybe in the long run it'll contribute to less people living in poverty because they were able to get a good education and a decent job, with no student loans weighing them down. I don't live in NY but if they did that everywhere I wouldn't have an issue helping people continue their educations.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Up, up, up go the taxes! I like how they left out what the tax increase would be in the article.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)