Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD (5) and black eye

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
Well sort of. On Friday DD's teacher told me that she fell and hit her left cheek on a table. I asked the teacher if it was bruised and all she responded with was "she's fine" when I picked her up from school I noticed the bruise. The teacher didn't write an incident report. 2 days later and the bruise seems almost like it's getting bigger. Should I tell the school nurse or office staff what happened since the teacher clearly didn't and now DD has this huge bruise under her eye? I'm concerned they are going to think she was hit which clearly isnt the case and I dont believe in hitting kids. I would be so livid if the school had neglect concerns because of her teacher dismissing it and saying she was fine. I also don't want to draw too much attention to it and cause them to be suspicious. Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:50 AM

Why does the office need to be involved?

4 kids and not once has an injury that that was not inflicted by another student been reported to the office, the teacher writes to us or call us, no reports made ever. Sh*t happens, just move on.

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:50 AM
My thoughts are nothing.

Your child is fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:54 AM
Thank you. Lol. I was hoping that I was just overreacting.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Why does the office need to be involved?

4 kids and not once has an injury that that was not inflicted by another student been reported to the office, the teacher writes to us or call us, no reports made ever. Sh*t happens, just move on.

Laugh_Love
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:00 AM
It's weird to me that you're so nervous about them suspecting abuse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:06 AM
I used to work in a daycare center and parents had to report all bruises to the staff otherwise we would have to investigate it. If it happened at daycare wr would have to write an incidence report. Maybe that's where the paranoia comes from.

Quoting Laugh_Love: It's weird to me that you're so nervous about them suspecting abuse.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:10 AM

No, I wouldn't worry about it.  I highly doubt they will even think twice about it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:19 AM
Because parents get reported for possible abuse all the time simply because some judgemental asshole sees an injury like a black eye and assumes the worst. I remember a story from a few years ago where a little boy face planted at sports practice and ended up with a black eye. There were witnesses to what happened. Someone reported them for abuse and they removed the boy from his parents home for his safety until they investigated.
They ended up getting him back but there's hundreds of storys about parents who weren't that lucky. My sister had a family friend who grew up with her boys. His wife took a pic of him sleeping on the couch with their baby sleeping on his chest. Later the baby came up with injuries due to her abuse.
He ended up losing custody and going to prison for causing the injuries and she ended up with sole custody. Nothing was done to her,even after SHE lost custody due to neglect. She wasn't charged with anything. It was a small town and her parents are big wheels and know the right people And have connections .They ended up with the baby and she lives with them. No will do anything about it.

Quoting Laugh_Love: It's weird to me that you're so nervous about them suspecting abuse.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:21 AM
Really? Is that normal for daycare centers to do that? My dd always has a bruise somewhere, and I usually have no idea where they came from.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I used to work in a daycare center and parents had to report all bruises to the staff otherwise we would have to investigate it. If it happened at daycare wr would have to write an incidence report. Maybe that's where the paranoia comes from.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. Couldn't have explained it any better myself.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Because parents get reported for possible abuse all the time simply because some judgemental asshole sees an injury like a black eye and assumes the worst. I remember a story from a few years ago where a little boy face planted at sports practice and ended up with a black eye. There were witnesses to what happened. Someone reported them for abuse and they removed the boy from his parents home for his safety until they investigated.
They ended up getting him back but there's hundreds of storys about parents who weren't that lucky. My sister had a family friend who grew up with her boys. His wife took a pic of him sleeping on the couch with their baby sleeping on his chest. Later the baby came up with injuries due to her abuse.
He ended up losing custody and going to prison for causing the injuries and she ended up with sole custody. Nothing was done to her.

rachel216
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:26 AM
I wouldn't think twice ....It's a one time thing the teacher called you and reported it to you. I think your over thinking this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)