Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you've been lactose intolerant or allergic to milk your entire life

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Do you drink milk substitutes?

I was born in 82 so there wasn't an alternative until lactaid came on the market and it was hard to find and expensive so my mom rarely bought it. Soy milk and such weren't around until I was an adult so milk has never been part of my diet. I don't miss it.

So if you're allergic or lactose intolerant and have been for most of your life do you drink milk alternatives now or do you just not bother?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:19 AM
Bump
Sarina.c.c
by Reen on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:21 AM
Soy and almond milk. I also like coconut milk.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:27 AM

I was born in 72 there were always milk substitues.  My mom used to make homemade almond milk way before it became a fad.  Soy milk was also readily available. 

lalabobo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:30 AM

I've recently discovered that I have a lactose intolerance - which saddened me because I love cheese &  butter.  I have been drinking almond milk for years now, so not drinking milk or having yogurt isn't an issue.  But, to answer your question, I've found almond milk tastier in my cereal.  I won't touch the "butter" substitutes, those are just chemical s&%storms. I'll sooner go without than put any of that engineered crap in my body.  I also bake with coconut oil. I made a pan of delicious brownies last night that were totally dairy/gluten free.  I've actually enjoyed trying new things and new ways of cooking - and my stomach is much happier for it!

Freiheit
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:31 AM
I'm slightly lactose intolerant. Milk and cheese make me need to rush to the bathroom, but I try just to not overdo it. I always get my Starbucks with soy or coconut milk. They're both sweet and delicious.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:45 AM
Where I grew up I never remember seeing soy milk on the shelves and we had several different chains to shop at so maybe it just wasn't in my area.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I was born in 72 there were always milk substitues.  My mom used to make homemade almond milk way before it became a fad.  Soy milk was also readily available. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Soy milk is gross Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk the refrigerated kind tastes the most like milk... thankfully both of our kids outgrew it!

g33k
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:56 PM

No don't drink milk at all...the weird thing is that milk will upset my stomach but I can have cheese and yogurt no problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM
I'm the same way.

Quoting g33k:

No don't drink milk at all...the weird thing is that milk will upset my stomach but I can have cheese and yogurt no problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:31 PM
Both my youngest and I are lactose intolerant. We use almond or soy milk as an alternative. Not so much to "drink" but to use in cereal and other recipes that call for milk. I only drink water and an occasional Diet Pepsi.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)