Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clearing out the kids closets......

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

Do you just go through and get rid of whatever doesn't fit and what the kids don't wear? or do you have the kids help you go through and pick out what they want to get rid of?

I was discussing this with a friend last night, because I said I went through all 3 kids clothes when they were at their dads and got rid of 3 trash bags full (They didn't even notice).

She says she lets  her kids choose what to keep/get rid of. I say that takes to long and they always want to keep crap that doesn't fit.

How do you do it? Yourself? or have the kids help?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:48 AM
Odd does her own, I help ydd
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:50 AM
I go through and donate what doesn't fit. My kids have no reason to keep clothes that no longer fit.
rockyhawk
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:51 AM
I do it myself. It's quicker and easier. Kids are pack rats who tend to decide that everything is their absolute favorite the very minute you try getting rid of it. I don't have the patience for that.

Same with toys. I go through the toy boxes and trash anything broken and donate whatever they don't play with anymore.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:52 AM

Why would they get a say if its too small or stuff they do not wear at all?  I go through my kids stuff on a weekly basis, as it comes through the laundry, if its too small it goes in a bag, if its damaged we either use as rags (good material only) or tossed out. If the kids notice something is missing I tell them why, and they move on with their day.

I also sell my kids clothes, they get the money to go and pick out new clothes or shoes or whatever else they want.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:53 AM
I do it for them but they are 6 and under. They know not to go digging in the bags saying "no not this" if I say it goes then it goes. In a few years I will have them doing it themselves and just check to make sure they are purging correctly. I grew up with a mild hoarder so I do not tolerate keeping stuff that is not useful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:55 AM
My daughter is crazy and would have a meltdown if she saw me toss out something that doesn't fit.
I don't have the patience for it so I just go through it on my own and donate on a free site.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:56 AM
My sd likes to try to squeeze in shit that's 3 sizes to small so I do hers without her. My boys aren't an issue they are logical about it and if it's super special to them I just put it in a box and it goes in the attic. My older son LOVES going through his clothes to pass down to baby brother. Youngest hates all clothes except one favorite shirt and favorite shorts so he doesn't care about any of it as long as he has his favorites lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:56 AM
I just go through them myself mostly. I will have them try on things they haven't worn in awhile just to see if they fit. That being said I don't get rid of their favorites unless they are really stained or torn, or too small.
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM
I do it. And I need to do it soon.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM

I get rid of what doesn't fit. Otherwise if they seem to have to much. We will go through it and get rid of what they don't like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)