Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who's right? (edited)

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:36 AM
  • 43 Replies

DD is grounded right now from her phone, having friends over, or going over to a friend's house. On Saturday I went to Barnes and Noble. She saw a new book from an author that she likes and asked if I could buy it for her. I said yes. DH said it was wrong that I bought her anything because she's grounded. He thinks she should be having zero fun right now. I don't think reading should be included as taking away books should not be included in a grounding. Plus, DD is not an avid reader so I'm willing to buy books from the one series that she likes.

Who's right, DH? Me?

Edit - since people seem to think it was ridiculous that I took her shopping, I had a lot of errands to run including the arts and crafts store for a school science project. She had to come with to buy stuff for the project. 

by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:38 AM

i would NOT have gotten a new book...i'm sure she's got plenty of other ones she could have read, and EARNED the new one instead

notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:39 AM
You
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:39 AM
How old is she?

I wouldn't have taken a grounded kid shopping...so, count me on dh's side, I guess.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:40 AM
Was she with you? Or you just picked it up for her? I probably wouldn't have taken her out shopping if she was grounded. If I was out and just picked it up because I knew she wanted it, I wouldn't keep it from her.
K3412
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:40 AM

I would wait to get it until she wasn't grounded anymore. You don't get rewards when you are grounded. She can still read to new book when she's paid the consequences from her actions.

cutebaby06
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM

You, bet you 10 to one, she didn't even REALLY, REALLY want it.

FoxForceFive
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM

DH was not at home and I had to run a lot of errands, so she came with me. I didn't go to B+N for her.

Quoting Anonymous 2: How old is she? I wouldn't have taken a grounded kid shopping...so, count me on dh's side, I guess.

FoxForceFive
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:42 AM

She was with me. I had a lot of errands and DH was not home to stay with her so she had no choice but to come with me. I did not go to B+N for her.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Was she with you? Or you just picked it up for her? I probably wouldn't have taken her out shopping if she was grounded. If I was out and just picked it up because I knew she wanted it, I wouldn't keep it from her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:43 AM
Hubby is right. She only wanted the book because she's grounded and has nothing to do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:43 AM

so how does that make her right for buying a book the daughter won't read?

Quoting cutebaby06:

You, bet you 10 to one, she didn't even REALLY, REALLY want it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)