Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man forcibly removed from flight after not voluntarily giving up seat on overbooked flight

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:46 AM
  • 71 Replies

Man forcibly removed from flight after not voluntarily giving up seat on overbooked flight

Published: Monday, April 10, 2017 @ 7:22 AM

A United Airlines jet taxis at O'Hare International Airport on September 19, 2014 in Chicago, Illinois.
Scott Olson/Getty Images

Another black eye for the airline industry after a flight crew had police remove a man who refused to voluntarily give up his seat on an overbooked flight.

United Airlines had overbooked the flight and had asked for four volunteers to give up their seats so other people could fly from Chicago to Louisville on Sunday, WHAS reported.

According to passengers, the seats were needed for airline personnel who needed to travel to be at work the next day.

The man refused, claiming he was a doctor and had to get home to see patients, The Telegraph reported.  

Flight crews called police, who dragged him from his seat and down the aisle of the plane.

United Airlines gave WHAS this response to the incident:

β€œFlight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked. After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate. We apologize for the overbook situation.”

Last month, teens who boarded a flight wearing leggings were removed by United Airlines. Three girls were traveling on an employee pass and the airline said that it has a no-leggings policy for employees when using the pass. Two of the girls left the flight. A third, who was also wearing leggings, put a dress on over the tight-fitting pants and was allowed on the flight.

by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:48 AM
7 moms liked this

I'd sue them for every red cent.

Zengirl79
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

That's crazy!  How can they possibly do that?  

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:49 AM

I hope he does.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I'd sue them for every red cent.

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I really don't understand why it's legal for them to overbook flights.
StarWilliams
by πŸ’…StuckUpChickπŸ’ on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:50 AM
WTF... completely unnecessary!!!
Why-meee
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:50 AM
He must have really needed to be someplace.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

He won't be able to sue.  It IS their right to remove people (well, ask them to be removed) if they overbook.  It's in the fine print, always has been.

SueWanda
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM

How is that legal???!!!! he paid for his service. and they dragged him out!

goodmama85
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM
I just that on fb.i hope he sues them for every penny they have.I've always heard united is one of the worst airlines to fly with smh
PrettyWings29
by Caribbean Queen on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Wow, that's insane! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)