Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are some things your parents did

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

That you make it a point to not do?

I'm not talking about abuse. Things besides that.

My Mom would never let me have or buy clothes if she did not like them. It didn't matter if I liked them. If she didn't I couldn't get them. And then she would act all hurt when she'd force me to get something I didn't like and I did not wear it. I was not able to get out from under that until I was about 15.

I let my kids pick out their own stuff. My boys could really care less but my DD a lot of times likes stuff that isn't my style but I don't say no. She is the one wearing it.

We also were not taught life skills. We weren't allowed to cook, she cleaned everything herself before we all woke up. I did not know how to do laundry until I was 18 and my Dad showed me. As a result I had very minimal life skills when I was on my own.

I teach my kids stuff like how to cook, clean, etc. They don't do as good a job as I would but that's OK. They are learning.

My Mom also did not buy things if she did not like them. We never had fresh fruit in the house besides bananas. I hadn't tried so many things until I became an adult because of it including a lot of fresh fruit and veggies because I couldn't buy it myself until I got a job after high school. I buy a lot of things I don't like because my kids like that stuff.

We also never had juice because my Mom is convinced to this day it's bad for you. I really have no idea why. Yes if it's not real juice and you drink glass after glass absolutely. But real juice in moderation is fine. We only had pop, milk or water to drink. I don't even buy pop now as an adult. My kids can have it if we go out to eat, at parties, etc.

And all "goodies" were kept under lock and key. Because we were not taught moderation of course as a kid we'd gorge ourselves on them. Snack foods have always been out in the open, my kids need to ask first in case I am getting ready to make a meal but they don't eat snack after snack because it's not kept from them and a lot of times they make healthy choices instead. As an adult I did eat very poorly at first because since we never had those things I wanted them all the time once I was on my own. I don't anymore but at first I did.

How about you?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM
Nothing really comes to mind.
Why-meee
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM
Smoke. I hated it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM

My Mom smoked too. I also hated it. I never picked it up and don't allow it in my home.

Quoting Why-meee: Smoke. I hated it.

Libby22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:22 AM

I wish my mom had taught me how to cook, do laundry and clean - like aside from dusting and the various chores I was assigned growing up. She did all these things, but must have thought I'd just pick it up intuitively lol.

I wish my parents had sat me down and taught me about financial planning and managing money. I learned how to do so responsibly, and have never been in any sort of debt, but it was one of those things that scared me once I was on my own.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:23 AM

Tell my daughter or expect my daughter to act older because she looks older.

Laugh_Love
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:23 AM
Mine were great. I learned all my homemaking skills from her. A lot of my parenting skills.
They were very even keeled.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:24 AM

I also made sure I had a M-F 9 to 5 jobs.  I want to be present on the weekends and evenings to support my child in their extracurriculars. 

PrettyWings29
by Caribbean Queen on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:24 AM

Well, let's see. My mom considered jam to be a serving of fruit so there's that. She also forced church on me for 6 hours a week at minimum until I turned 18. That's all I feel like going into right now. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:24 AM
Nothing. My parents are great. I find myself thinking 'what would mom do?' when I'm not sure what my next move should be.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:25 AM
Only thing I do differently is I actually watch my kids. I was allowed to stay out all night every night starting at 4. She left us home alone starting at 2 with our younger brother was 1.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)