Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should ANYONE be able to homeschool their children?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 258 Replies

Do you think parents who homeschool their children should have some type of degree? Or should anyone be able to do it?   

Why shouldn't we let teachers in a classroom teach without a degree?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Freiheit
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:56 PM
12 moms liked this
I think you should have at least a BA/BS to qualify to homeschool. If a degree is required for classroom teachers, a degree should be required for homeschool "teachers".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:56 PM
16 moms liked this
As a parent no they shouldn't be required to have a degree, there are many resources for parents.

As for in a school setting, if you can't grasp the difference then someone failed at teaching you thinking skills.
Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM
5 moms liked this

Parents should be allowed to do whatever they want with their own children, as long as its not in bad taste, as in abuse/neglect etc... I honestly think that we should not have to educate our children if we do not want to, not that I would take that approach myself, I think its important, I am just saying, parents should have that option.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:58 PM

ffs

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM
11 moms liked this
Not everyone can do college, it doesn't make them too stupid to teach their kids.

Many kids are excelling more than classroom taught kids.

Quoting Freiheit: I think you should have at least a BA/BS to qualify to homeschool. If a degree is required for classroom teachers, a degree should be required for homeschool "teachers".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM
3 moms liked this

As long as they follow the rules in their state why not?

As for a degree why?  They teach you classroom management, how to handle ESL, and many non-subject matter classes.  When I was in college I think maybe 2-3 of my classes were subject based, if that.  I am so glad I got out of the mind numbing out of line standards bs when I did.  If you need those kind of course with your own kids you need cps in your life not an education degree. 

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM
8 moms liked this
This again...

Yes, anyone should be allowed to homeschool. Teaching degrees would not do anything for a homeschooler as they are teaching a handful of students...not 20+. They don't need classroom management and teaching elementary school is not difficult. There are also a lot of co-ops and homeschool groups where kids are taught by other adults.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM
2 moms liked this

No, I think you need to be qualified.

Good example, a woman from my church homeschools her kids. Her son is a year older than my youngest, so he is 12. He cannot read, I'm talking simple kindergarten book, he cannot read. My husband had him in his boys group, he cannot tie a knot. So no, he cannot tie his shoes. At 12, he cannot read or tie his shoes. If he were in the public schools he would be getting tested for special help. He's not, so he does not get the help he should have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Considering that my son's last teacher had a degree and couldn't spell very well or pronounce some of their vocabulary words, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I do homeschool now. I have a BA in psychology with a minor in history and early childhood education credits.
engagedandproud
by Diamond Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Homeschooling your own children is different than a teacher teaching a classroom full of kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)