Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who was right or wrong here? Nieces and baby left at daycare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 230 Replies
My younger niece is 17. She had a baby 8 months ago and like any mom, it's an adjustment. My older niece is 22 and lives on her own. A few weeks ago, older niece was watching the baby (for pay), and my younger niece was 2 hours late to pick him up and she hadn't called because she was with friends. She freaked out and said she wasn't watching her kid again because it was rude and disrespectful to be so late

Fast forward to Friday. Younger niece was at work, and messed up her schedule and had to stay later. She's in online school and working near full time. She called my sister and asked her to pick the baby up from daycare. My sister said yes, but unfortunately fell asleep as she's recovering from surgery and was drowsier than she expected.

Anyway, older niece was put down as a daycare emergency contact but didn't know that. When 6:30pm rolled around daycare started calling my younger niece and my sister and neither answered - my sister was passed out and my younger niece can't have her phone at work. So they called my older niece who answered, but said she wouldn't pick him up. In the end, CPS was called, and the baby spent Friday and Saturday night in their care.

My sister feels terrible but they're both furious at older niece, who doesn't feel she did anything wrong or care that they're upset, since she told younger niece she'd never babysit again.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anon10
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:29 PM
3 moms liked this
I never would have left my nephew, but, it's not really her responsibility.
I'm kind of torn on this.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Older neice said she would, whether she was coherent enough to care for an 8 month old baby is questionable though. Mom (aka baby's mom) needs to be more responsible, cps getting involved may be a good wake up call for her.

SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM
8 moms liked this
Sounds like younger neice needs to get her schedules straight and have better back up plans. Also where is the dad of the baby?
SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Mom said she would, not older neice...

Quoting krisnkids:

Older neice said she would, whether she was coherent enough to care for an 8 month old baby is questionable though. Mom (aka baby's mom) needs to be more responsible, cps getting involved may be a good wake up call for her.

notuseless
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM
Older niece should have went to the moms work or called younger niece.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM
3 moms liked this

Both are wrong. 

Grandmother* should have picked the baby up like she said she would 

The mother should be able to be reached by the daycare or at least verified that the baby was picked up. Ultimately it is on her the parent and she failed. 

Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM
3 moms liked this
The fault lies with the child's mom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

How is the mom being irresponsible? She immediately found someone who said YES, they could pick her child up. Sounds like something any responsible adult would do. Maybe if the older niece had said no, the mom would have left work. Regardless, once the older niece agreed to pick the child up, SHE was responsible. SHE is the irresponsible one here.

Quoting krisnkids:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Older niece said she wouldn't be babysitting anymore. Younger niece should have updated emergency contacts accordingly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:33 PM
4 moms liked this

I understand your older nieces frustration with her sister but the baby shouldnt be punished for it. I would have picked up my niece or nephew from daycare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)