Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One hand or two?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

Do you drive with one hand or two?  I only ever drive with one hand on the steering wheel.  Trying to understand how people say you can't drive properly holding a cell phone but you can drive properly while doing hands free.  Personally to me they are equal distractions and one is in no way safer than the other.  I never drive with two hands on the steering wheel anyways and I rarely if ever drive while talking on the phone hands free or otherwise. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:37 PM
One hand most of the time
wakymom
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:38 PM

Both. I frequently drive one-handed, but in bad weather, or really heavy traffic, I use 2 hands.

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:38 PM

Two hands.

Traci_Momof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:44 PM

Both.  Depends on the situation.  If I'm just cruising down the road I most likely have one hand on the wheel.  If I'm making a turn I have two hands on the wheel.  If it's a hairy situation for any reason I have two hands on the wheel.

IMO, the dangerous activities are the ones that take your eyes off the road, not your hands off the wheel.  Texting takes your eyes off the road therefore it is very dangerous.  Dialing a number on your phone takes your eyes off the road but talking on the phone does not.  That's why I think voice response dialing is important.

Anything that takes your eyes off the road, even for just two seconds, can mean you miss that guy that pulled out in front of you and means you rear end him instead of hitting your brakes in time.  I don't really care what you do with your second hand but KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:45 PM

One hand. I typically drive with my left hand.

Seriously?

I don't think it's holding the cell phone that's an issue. It's giving your attention to a device, instead of watching the road. It only takes a blink of an eye.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:45 PM

I do both depending on how I drive my car. You can put it into manual mode so sometimes I do. 

mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:47 PM

i'm a two handed driver

AllieReed
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:50 PM
I alternate.
ThatDancerGirl
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:53 PM
Both. In more stressful situations it's two, in just everyday driving it's one.

Hands free is different. If you aren't having to take your eyes off the road and can use your hands as needed then having a conversation on the phone with someone hands free is no different than talking to someone in the car. It's when you have to look away that it's a problem
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Apr. 10, 2017 at 2:54 PM
Two.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)