Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BM wanted me to pick SS up just because I have the day off

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 425 Replies

He threw up at school. He says it was because he ate really fast and then rushed to play basketball with his friends and it made him feel sick. He felt fine right after. He isnt sick or anything but they still have to send him home

BM knows I dont work today (I have every monday off) and told me I needed to pick SS up. 

I told her no. I have plans today and I am not going to cancel. She got mad and said she couldnt take the time off work. I still told her no. 

To be clear it is her time with SS. She called DH and told him he needed to pick SS up. He said she needed to figure it out or call his mom. She doesnt like his mom so she didnt want to do that. 

She called me back and asked if I could go down to the school "real quick" (we live 45 mins away from his school so it would not have been quick) to sign him out so her brother could watch him. He isnt on the pick up list. She works about 10 mins from school, I am sure she could figure out some way to do that herself. 

I told her that I was sorry but I was busy and not to call me again unless there was an actual emergency. 

I guess she posted about it on facebook (i dont have her as a friend so I havent seen it) because my MIL called and asked what was going on and why I was "being so mean" 

The whole thing is frustrating. If I didnt already have plans I would have gone to get him but I had stuff to do. It was her time and her responsibility to get SS. She had options. Just because I have a day off doesnt mean I am not doing anything 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalabobo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:21 PM
20 moms liked this

Are you really that busy? Sounds like you'd rather spite BM than help the kid out.  Rather than just go pick him up, you're making him sit there while you & BM bicker over who SHOULD be the one to pick him up. If I had a step-child, I'd treat them like my own - which would mean that occasionally, my plans would change without notice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
You are wrong. Why punish the kid over adult ignorance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:23 PM

I had stuff to do all day. I couldnt take an hour and a half out of my time or bring SS with me. 

I made it clear the first time she called I couldnt she should have never called me back 

I wouldnt have even gone to pick up my own kids. I would have called my mother or sister 

Quoting lalabobo:

Are you really that busy? Sounds like you'd rather spite BM than help the kid out.  Rather than just go pick him up, you're making him sit there while you & BM bicker over who SHOULD be the one to pick him up. If I had a step-child, I'd treat them like my own - which would mean that occasionally, my plans would change without notice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:23 PM

I was wrong for sticking to my plans? How so?

Quoting Anonymous 2: You are wrong. Why punish the kid over adult ignorance.

lalabobo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:25 PM
16 moms liked this

Sorry, I don't get it.  I don't understand why co-parenting relationships aren't more mature than this.  Hey, I'm at work, can you do me a favor? Sure, what do you need?  Thanks, I really appreaciate it. No problem, life happens and I'm happy to help out.  Stop being so conditional, you're setting a crappy example for your SS.  And that's great you have family to help you out, imagine if you didn't.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I had stuff to do all day. I couldnt take an hour and a half out of my time or bring SS with me. 

I made it clear the first time she called I couldnt she should have never called me back 

I wouldnt have even gone to pick up my own kids. I would have called my mother or sister 

Quoting lalabobo:

Diva-Mami
by Petty LaBelle on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:25 PM
2 moms liked this
She could have gotten him and had her brother get the child. If you had gone, I don't think her brother would have come to get him. Our school will let someone not on the list pick up a child with prior notice and they have to have an id
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:26 PM
6 moms liked this
She said his school is 45 minutes from her. I wouldn't do it either. Bm had other options.

Quoting lalabobo:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:26 PM
3 moms liked this

I am not sure what you arent understanding. I was busy today, if I wasnt I would have gone to get him. Last week I wasnt doing much and would have happily got him. You dont understand that sometimes people have things to do that they cant just reschedule?

Why should I have had to cancel everything? Please explain that. I dont get it. 

MIL is family and more than willing to pick up  SS. BM didnt want that. This is on her 

Quoting lalabobo:

Sorry, I don't get it.  I don't understand why co-parenting relationships aren't more mature than this.  Hey, I'm at work, can you do me a favor? Sure, what do you need?  Thanks, I really appreaciate it. No problem, life happens and I'm happy to help out.  Stop being so conditional, you're setting a crappy example for your SS.  And that's great you have family to help you out, imagine if you didn't.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting lalabobo:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:27 PM
3 moms liked this

If DH was single BM would have to figure it out. Don't worry about it. I think you were justified in your actions.

notuseless
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 4:27 PM
4 moms liked this
You are step mom which means that no matter what you do you are wrong. I was a step mom for 6 years. Now i adopted them and i am still not their mom so i am still wrong.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)