Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure what to do...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
I started a job a week ago as an elder caregiver. I like the job, although it is hard physical work. I have already been promoted to the highest supervisory position outside of an administrative position- meds and treatments/shift supervisor. My bosses seem to love me, and the residents seem to, also.

I just got a call for an interview from my first pick that I applied for. It's a peer mentoring job. I have no doubt that I will be offered a position. The position wouldn't be as physical or stressful.

I'm not sure if I should take the job if it's offered since I have already been hired AND promoted and given a raise at this one. I don't want to disappoint my employers because they are so nice.

Would it be inappropriate to request to be able to come back if it turns out to not be a good fit? Ugh. I hate feeling like I have let people down.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Apr. 10, 2017 at 7:04 PM
Wow. All that after a week!? Idk what you should do. Go with your gut. It's usually right
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 7:07 PM
I don't think they are used to employees who know what they're doing and bust ass/go the extra mile. Plus, I am very overqualified for the position I was hired for. Lol

Quoting weeping_angel: Wow. All that after a week!? Idk what you should do. Go with your gut. It's usually right
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 7:12 PM

I would stay put. The company uyoure at might help you get a degree. And NO you cant ask them to hire you back if things dont work out.

K3412
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 7:16 PM
You either need to stay or go. Don't treat your current job like a second choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 7:32 PM

Pick whichever one you want...but if you leave no you cant NOT ask to be rehired if the other job doesn't work out

crowdsourcerer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:21 PM

I agree don't ask them if they'll take you back if the job you are ditching them for doesn't work out. That's a wierd position to put them in, and doesn't put you in a favorable light. 

Make your best assessment (a pro/con list on paper is a great way to do it) of the two jobs - stress, pay, benefits, stability & turnover, ability to advance, etc, and then do what your gut tells you is the thing that will likely be best for you. You are not the first person to leave a job shortly after starting because another job that you had interviewed for finally got back to you and wants to hire you. Someone I hired did that to me, and I have no hard feelings towards her, and I'd hire her again. 

I think it's odd, and not a good sign of the stability of a company, that they take a new employee who they've seen in action ONE WEEK and promote them to supervisor. That's a red flag IMO.

If you decide to go to the other job, say that you loved working for them, enjoyed your work, the clients, the other staff, and appreciate that they appreciated the work that you did, and that it's has been a very difficult decision for you to resign, but that this other job was one that you had interviewed for previously and had features that you were really interested in, and feel you can't let that opportunity pass you by.  Say nothing more, definitely nothing negative about them, like how it is a more stressful job. If you ever want to go back to them, they will remember you as a great employee wholoved them and  found it very difficult to decide to leave them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:52 PM

It would be inappropriate to request to be able to come back if it turns out to not be a good fit. Take the position that you want and if it does not work out look for a different job from these two jobs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)