Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My credit union doesn't have debit cards and my dh is now getting an allowance

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 68 Replies
Yep, it's so small that they don't give out debit cards so everything is done by check or cash. I love it especially because it's so small they know me and my account number which means it takes 30 seconds to get cash out or make a deposit. They also don't charge me a fee for an overdraft until after they call me and ask if I knew I was in the red. Then I usually run them over some cash either that day or the next, no big deal, no $35+ fee, I love it!

Here's the thing that annoys me though. Dh has a different bank with debit cards and a million fees for the dumbest thing. He ALWAYS overdrafts because he doesn't check is account or balance a checkbook they also don't turn his card off if he has no money in his account so he gets fee after fee.

I use a prepaid card when I absolutely need a card or I use my credit card. Dh's bank was our joint account so it was used to pay bills well I told dh I wanted to change that around and make my bank our joint account. Everything has been going so great and we finally have a nice savings built up because we aren't getting hammered by fees.

I set dh up with a prepaid card and he hates it. The reason is because he runs out of money.... well no freakin duh! I put every dime from his check left over after paying bills which comes out to $500 every two weeks. I make more than him and only spend on average $100 every 2 weeks and that's mainly gas money. All of our savings is actually my money and I have so much more since I don't have to cover his fees.

I told him that from now on I wasn't going to give him extra money on that prepaid card and that's all he gets because his spending is out of control. I feel like his mother giving him an allowance but I refuse to constantly be broke because he wants to eat out 3 times a day, buy expensive crap for his car, and get top of the line everything as soon as it comes out.

He's giving me that whole we're married so it's our money excuse and I told him yep it's our money and we will be saving it from now on.

Is $500 really not enough to last 2 weeks?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I have a credit union its pretty large, I haven't paid a fee in the entire time ive been a member - over 20 years.

You and your DH don't sound responsible.

You regularly overdraw your account? I mean its not hard to not spend money you dont have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:37 PM
You both sound very irresponsible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:39 PM
I don't overdraw my account normally the few times I did was when I was younger and I only mentioned that because there's no fees in case dh got into it which is the problem.

Quoting mmm2015:

I have a credit union its pretty large, I haven't paid a fee in the entire time ive been a member - over 20 years.

You regularly overdraw your account? I mean its not hard to not spend money you dont have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:39 PM
How am I irresponsible?

Quoting Anonymous 2: You both sound very irresponsible.
SmurfGoneBad
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
You both need some money management classes.
mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

yea okay.

"They also don't charge me a fee for an overdraft until after they call me and ask if I knew I was in the red. Then I usually run them over some cash either that day or the next, no big deal, no $35+ fee, I love it! " 

all present tense

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't overdraw my account normally the few times I did was when I was younger and I only mentioned that because there's no fees in case dh got into it which is the problem.
Quoting mmm2015:

Please file all Complaints directly with the Complaint Department

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:41 PM
Why do I need money management classes? I spend $100 every 2 weeks on gas and nothing else. He spends $500 every 2 weeks. We have savings now because I don't have to keep putting my money in an account he would collect overdraft fees on.

Quoting SmurfGoneBad: You both need some money management classes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:42 PM
That's the truth. They don't charge overdraft fees and if something happens they call. That doesn't mean I constantly get overdraft fees it means it's a better option than dh's bank.

Quoting mmm2015:

yea okay.

"They also don't charge me a fee for an overdraft until after they call me and ask if I knew I was in the red. Then I usually run them over some cash either that day or the next, no big deal, no $35+ fee, I love it! " 

all present tense

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't overdraw my account normally the few times I did was when I was younger and I only mentioned that because there's no fees in case dh got into it which is the problem.

Quoting mmm2015:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:43 PM
Overdrawing your account is irresponsible. I would be embarrassed if my credit union called me and I had to "run money over" to avoid an overdraft.

Quoting Anonymous 1: How am I irresponsible?

Quoting Anonymous 2: You both sound very irresponsible.
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:43 PM
I do everything by debit card now. And i use quicken. I lay out all my bills 30 days in advance. Every couple of days i download from the bank into quicken so i can see what I'm spending. If it happens i overdraw the money comes from my linked Savings acct. Your credit union is so 1970.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)