Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chemical pregnancy followed by short period?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
I had what I'm assuming was a chemical pregnancy. At 3 weeks and maybe 2 days I had a faintly positive pregnancy test. Waited a couple days, retested with FRER and it was completely negative. My period started mid day the next day. That was the 8th. Cramps were slightly worse than normal but still pretty mild, bleeding seemed within normal range (I've always had a light flow). It was bright red blood.

Here's the confusing part: It's the 10th, and it stopped entirely a few hours ago. At minimum, it shouldn't​ have tapered off until tomorrow, and shouldn't have quit until the 12th or 13th. Additionally, I've still been tired, overly hungry and peeing a lot.

What gives? Anyone experience this before? I figured a period after a chemical would be longer, not shorter.

ETA: period also came when expected, not late.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:47 PM
I understand how frustrating it can be when you really want to be pregnant and you're not. But you're not pregnant. Keep trying and eventually it will probably stick!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:48 PM
Most likely there was no pregnancy and you had an evap line.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:53 PM
See that's the thing. We're not trying. We're not doing much in the way of preventing, so obviously we knew it was a possibility but we weren't actively trying either.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I understand how frustrating it can be when you really want to be pregnant and you're not. But you're not pregnant. Keep trying and eventually it will probably stick!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:57 PM
I've seen evap lines and this was definitely a positive. Faint, yes, but clear. I'd be inclined to believe it was wishful thinking if we were trying, but we're not. Not doing much in the way of preventing either, so we knew it was a possibility but we're not actively trying. I only tested at all because the exhaustion hit me like a train and that's only ever happened once before - when I was pregnant with my daughter.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Most likely there was no pregnancy and you had an evap line.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:03 PM
I had a chemical pregnancy in February. I had 5 faint but positive tests over 2 days. 3 different brands so not evaps. 2 days after the first positive I started bleeding which only lasted 2/3 days. I didn't have a period at all in March and just finished for April after 5 days.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:56 PM
At 3w 2d, the conceptus hasn't had the opportunity to produce enough hCG to make you pregnancy-tired, and if, for some reason you had enough hCG in your blood to feel pregnancy-tired you would have too much hCG in your blood to ward off a period and you would have an hpt+.

Also, loss of a chemical pregnancy at that that stage of pregnancy would delay your period not make it come early.

The most likely and plausible explanation for your cramps, light and unusual period, and exhaustion is a uterine infection. Your symptoms are fairly typical for a uterine infection.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've seen evap lines and this was definitely a positive. Faint, yes, but clear. I'd be inclined to believe it was wishful thinking if we were trying, but we're not. Not doing much in the way of preventing either, so we knew it was a possibility but we're not actively trying. I only tested at all because the exhaustion hit me like a train and that's only ever happened once before - when I was pregnant with my daughter.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Most likely there was no pregnancy and you had an evap line.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)