Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have suggestions on life jackets for babies?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:34 PM
  • 16 Replies
I need something for my 20 month old. She's about 22-24 lbs. 2'9 tall. We're going to stay on a houseboat this summer and I need something good. I'm already stressing about it. I've found a few on Amazon but they either don't give the size they fit for or don't have great reviews. There's not a whole lot of places that carry under 30lb sizes around here. I've checked 2 sporting goods stores, Wal-Mart and target.
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:42 PM

Mobile Photo

DD had one like this, not really a life jacket but it stayed on well.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to get a Coast Guard approved life vest.  They sell them in marine stores, not sure if that helps you, but you can check the websites for marine stores, such as West Marine.

We had them for our kids when they were little (under 2) because we had a boat.  We made sure that they wore them ALL the time on deck.  No exceptions.

Princess_s21
by Sarah on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:46 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

The vest type ones are good, that's what my sister used for my niece

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
And I did a quick search and found this, seems to have good reviews and under 30pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LJOC4E/?tag=life-jacket-20
ktwister
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:48 PM

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Recreational-Life-Vest-for-Infants/product/12082505423316/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 11, 2017 at 1:26 AM
http://www.boaterkids.com/infant-and-baby-life-jackets/

Hope this helps. There's some info about what to look for and then it lists some recommendations for them at the bottom
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 1:27 AM
I'm sure there's a marine store somewhere. I didn't think of it since I've never needed something quite this fancy.

We're supposed to sleep on the houseboat. For a week. And I JUST found out that the cabin only sleeps 10, the rest of the sleeping areas are on the deck. I told my husband I'm not going if we're not guaranteed a spot indoors. I'll find a camping spot nearby if I have to, but no way am I sleeping with 3 kids without a door between us and the water.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

You need to get a Coast Guard approved life vest.  They sell them in marine stores, not sure if that helps you, but you can check the websites for marine stores, such as West Marine.

We had them for our kids when they were little (under 2) because we had a boat.  We made sure that they wore them ALL the time on deck.  No exceptions.

ColieO
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 1:28 AM
Yea that won't quite work for this purpose.

Quoting Mom-to-2kids:

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2017 at 1:33 AM

I had one of these last year for my son who was about 22 months old when we went to the beach. It worked great. And its a US coastguard approved life jacket. Look up puddle jumper.

Quoting ColieO: Yea that won't quite work for this purpose.
Quoting Mom-to-2kids:

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2017 at 1:41 AM

I'd be tempted to recommend something like this (but of course the life jacket as well) beforehand:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)