Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What a stupid gift they gave my son - my kid is not genderless

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 216 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is the gift my SIL gave my 2 year old on his birthday last weekend. She's been on not assigning stereotyical colors to her children. I think this is a bit far, I'm guessing she purposely brought these to prove a point. DS does have a lot of blue stuff and there isn't anything pink in sight, I don't know really, I just buy what I like while he is so small. If he liked them I'd buy them for him but he's so young and doesn't have a preference yet so it seems stupid to purposely buy pajamas that are aimed at girls. 

I just returned them and dread the day she asks about them or wants to see him in them.

Would you have kept them?

ETA - I did screenshot these from their website. I took them back and didn't have them to take a picture.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't believe it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:22 PM
SMH.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:23 PM
3 moms liked this
My ds has hated pink since he could identify colors. I would have returned them or given them away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:23 PM

No. She is stupid IMO. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:23 PM
9 moms liked this
Your SIL is a dumbass.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:24 PM

Why are you explaining yourself? like you're ashamed for buying boy clothes and will be mocked for hating the pink.

Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:24 PM
14 moms liked this

lol

The whole blue for boys, pink for girls thing started in the 1940's as a marketing gimmick.

Before that males wore pink and girls wore blue.

Personally, I bought a lot of green, yellow and purple for my boys because I hated how stereotypical (and lame) it was to follow those arbitrary "rules" about color for a specific sex.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM
3 moms liked this
I believe it. I have heard of people that had a child that was raised genderless. They didn't allow anyone‚Äčto change diapers, and only mom and dad knew the real gender. I think that is insane. I'm all for being who you are and liking what you like, but like you said, when they're little, who cares? They (the babies) certainly don't.
Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:28 PM
5 moms liked this

Eh, I think their cute and my 2 year old DS would totally rock them. He's in love with doc mcstuffins, he gets his sisters doc hand me downs and I bought him pink pajamas with doc for Christmas because they just don't make them in blue. He happily wears them while pushing his firetruck and making vroom noises. Lol.

bananasnberries
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2017 at 3:28 PM
31 moms liked this

I would have returned them, I would have told her I am retuning them.
She shouldn't force her opinions on you and your children. The next time a birthday came up I'd even tell her that she doesn't need to bring a gift.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)