Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

B**** at the grocery - what would you have done?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 137 Replies

At the grocery this moring, I had unloaded all my items onto the conveyer belt.  They were a little spaced out, but there was no one behind us at the time and the cashier hadn't moved the belt up all the way so there was about a foot of unoccupied space nearest the cashier.

A woman came up behind me and said "Do you mind if I move some of this stuff up so I can put down my things?"

I of course say "Oh sure" and take the one step over to get to the end of our things, grab a separator and as I go to move my stuff, she shoves all of our items together (we had all our soft stuff at the end, so bread and chips). I muttered "Well I was going to move it, jeez" and she just snottily said "Thank you."

Now I know she said "Do you mind if I move your stuff" but in the past people really mean "Would you mind moving some of your stuff" and she didn't have to mutilate everything!

Also, not sure if it matters but she had 3 items, so it wasn't anything she couldn't have held.  A loaf of bread, two tomatoes in a bag and a head of lettuce.

What would you have said and done?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K3412
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:10 AM
19 moms liked this

Nothing. It's not worth engaging in something like that with a stranger.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have acted like I didn't hear her or asked the cashier to move the belt to accommodate her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM
4 moms liked this
I would of told her no, because I set my groceries out how I want them bagged. She seems rude. So I probably would of said thanks for smashing my chips, I love eating crumbs.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Nothing. To me it's not worth getting into.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:12 AM
Sometimes you got to let things go. This would be that time I'd let it roll.
krisnkids
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:12 AM
15 moms liked this

I would have asked the cashier to send the bagger to get replacement bread and chips since the woman behind you decided to squish yours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have pointedly inspected the items she shoved, then asked the cashier for replacements.
Ivoryhoney
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:13 AM
3 moms liked this

Exactly what you did and said was right. Anything more than that would have been a waist. Can't let people like that affect your day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:14 AM
I would have said "umm" and not move anything untill the belt moved.
ineffable
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:14 AM
3 moms liked this
Honestly, I would have let it go and forgotten about it 5 minutes after I had left the store.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)