Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am about to fire her because she is vegan!I

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Okay not really because she is vegan but because she doesnt like too cook with meat. I am a manager at my moms diner (She cant work anymore and we havent found a replacement)

There is an employee that has been here for years as a cook. She went vegetarian first, there wasnt any real problem I didnt even care but she brought it up multiple times. Then she went vegan. Again dont really care I dont pay attention to what she eats 

But now she is doing anything and everything to avoid cooking with meat or animal products. We cook a lot of meat, we have one vegetarian dish  (a salad) but everything else isnt vegetarian or vegan. 

I told her that if a spot opens up as a waitress she could maybe have that but it pays less so she doesnt want to. 

I understand it is against her beliefs but at the same time I am not going to pay her to literally not do her job.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Rinse repeat...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Tell her to do her job or quit.  

Famousglm714
by Gina on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

This reminds me of that Roseanne episode where Darlene does the same, lol. I'd fire her too. You're trying to run a business. No one has time for that crap. 

STVUstudent
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:46 AM

yep.  Time to invite her to seek employment elsewhere.  Give her a warning that you will not continue to employ a cook who refuses to cook the menu items.  Advertise for a new cook.  If she doesn't straighten her mess out, when you find a new one tell the vegan it isn't working out, her not cooking 99.9% of the items on the menu.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:46 AM
So if your vegan you can't touch meat ?
kmeow
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:48 AM
I agree. If she can't or won't do her job then she needs to be fired.
miss-karla
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:48 AM
Give her a warning
jd83
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:48 AM

I don't think you are wrong at all here. She needs to either perform her job duties, or move on to another job that better meets her needs. If handling animal products is such a huge issue for her, she is likely definitely in the wrong industry. Maybe a vegan restaurant or bakery would be better up her alley.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:49 AM

I do know some vegan cooks that touch meat no problem but for many they do not like to. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: So if your vegan you can't touch meat ?

Tinse
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2017 at 10:50 AM

I'd warn her and then suggest she apply to work at a vegan restaurant, if there are any where you live.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)