Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She turned into an in-home sales rep!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
I've been friends with this woman for a few years. Our girls are best friends, and now that the weather is warmer, we will be hanging out more--grilling, get-togethers, sports. Those types of things.

Lately she's been heavily into selling at-home makeup items. She told me, "I think you'd love these items. They're great. They can make fine lines appear less defined in just one week!"

I'm 35. I hardly have wrinkles unless I'm genuinely smiling. I get it'sā€‹ a sales tactic, but if I don't say something now, I can imagine summer bonfires being hard makeup sells and my FB inundated with in-home "party" invitations.

How would you tell her to stop the sell? I don't need it, I don't want it, I'm not interested. Adore you as a friend and person until you become a sales rep for a "woman-centered, woman-empowerment, get-rich-quick makeup company."

It's another annoying pyramid scheme centered on making women feel empowered but by subversively playing on insecurity. I don't like it, but I can't say THAT to her.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lowencope
by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:38 AM
I think it's ok to politely tell her the truth
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:39 AM
Thanks for letting me know you sell makeup! Can we agree that if I need some I will bring it up?

If she can't agree to that, explain why you don't want to hang out anymore,
jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:43 AM
Just tell her you're not interested.

Oooor If she's a really good friend though I personally might just buy one thing out of support. Most people don't last too long in those jobs anyway. They just end up buying shit themselves.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:48 AM
That is exactly what she's done with Pampered Chef, Tupperware, some weight-loss shit, and now this makeup. She even just dumped money into flying out to Vegas for a convention!

Quoting jellybeanjean: Just tell her you're not interested.

Oooor If she's a really good friend though I personally might just buy one thing out of support. Most people don't last too long in those jobs anyway. They just end up buying shit themselves.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:16 AM
I'd tell her. "No thank you, I love the products Im currently using and am not interested in changing." Repeat until she changes to selling Lularoe. Then change to "No thank you, that clothes is fugly."
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:21 AM
I had to do that with my SIL and lularoe.
"Thanks, it's just not my style."
"No thanks, I don't want to try it."

I like Spam's suggestion. Just politely tell her you'll ask if you want any.

My SIL became wrapped up in that world and couldn't talk about anything else.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:24 AM

I don't need it, I don't want it, I'm not interested. As you said in the post.

catonastick
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm blunt...to a fault sometimes.

A friend started to sell a popular makeup and when she tried to sell to me, I simply told her, "You know damn well I don't wear that crap!"

She has never asked me again. lol

ilovemykids323
by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:29 AM

i dunno. my glad people appoarch me on facebook vs in person i just ignore hte facebook messages. unlss they are talking about normal crap i'll respond until they start there sales pitch and then i disappear. but i'd probably just say i'm really not insterested everytime until she gives up

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:38 AM
Would you feel the same if she was working sales outside the home and talked about it? I think the best thing you can do for that " friend" is distant yourself, and eventually just vanish. You are only acquaintances because of your kids friendship.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)