Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neighbor is upset at how I treated her son. Thoughts?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

We recently moved into a new neighorhood. DS is the same age as the boy across the street and they are in the same class. Obviously they are going to hang out and what not, I expect that. However, the kid wanted to eat dinner with us which is fine. He has plenty of food at home but he just wants to hang out with DS. 

Last week, I started noticing a horrible habit. Keep in mind, these boys are 11 years old. The neighborhood boy basically INHALES his food. He chews with his mouth open and it sounds like a fucking cow chewing. So I started correcting him. I told him to slow down, chew his food with his mouth CLOSED, and so on. 

This embarrassed the boy and he told his mom. Now his mom is all pissed off saying he's just a kid and I was being a bully to him.

FFS, your kid needs to learn some manners. No need to eat fast and loud. I don't want to hear it at my dinner table and if she has an issue with that, she needs to keep her kid home at dinner time or I will just turn him away. 

What would you ladies have done? 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemykids323
by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

i'd would tell the mom he's no longer allowed to eat over then. you weren't being a bully though. people need to stop throwing that word around like that.

TinkTink205
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 11:44 AM
It depends on the age of the child. Some really young children have a hard time eating with their mouth shut. I probably would have been more subtle.
Jenniy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 11:45 AM
He wouldn't be allowed to eat over again.
Hoppers33
1 mom liked this
When does she think a good time to teach him manners is? When he's an adult and the bad habits are too deeply ingrained to change? Correcting poor manners is not being a bully.
K3412

I wouldn't have said anything, and would have just ceased the dinner invitations if it bothered me that much. 

CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 11:46 AM

You weren't bulling at all. That's silly. I would've subtly corrected him too. 

hart57
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 11:46 AM
I don't think it's a big deal unless you told him in a mean or degrading way.

I would tell mom, you were not trying to be mean, just teaching him table manners. 11 is old enough to be taught (should already have them).
AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 11:47 AM
I ignore other kids issues unless they hurt someone. My kid is 11 too.
KeepOnTryin
by Melissa on Apr. 24, 2017 at 11:47 AM
He is 11 years old, he is old enough to know how to act respectfully in someone's home. Since mom is being an idiot I would probably just send the kid home before dinner.
cymkare
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Yeah, I'm with you. If you don't want me to correct or guide your child don't leave them at my house. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)