Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ds is coming home from the psychiatric ward

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
He's 11, I've posted quite a bit in the last week.

But they are releasing him today, I have to go in about 30 minutes to meet with everyone, set up a home safety plan (knives, cleaning supplies are locked up... I'm going to ask about how to handle our shampoo, etc since he tried drinking that). I also got rid of the gaming systems, except for his 3ds, which only has 3 appropriate games. But that's locked up. He can play for 30 minutes on the weekends, as long as he's good during the week.

I'm excited to have him home, but a little nervous that I'm not doing enough. He'll continue his weekly therapy sessions, has an appt with his out patient psychiatrist but I want to see if I can switch doctors. I told her months ago his behavior was getting worse on the current medication and I feel like she didn't listen, she just increased the dosage. They think it could be medicine based (the anger, aggression) so I kinda want to keep him off everything except his Adderall- which they've lowered. Then I will know whether it's medicine or his 'normal' self. Things I plan on asking his team about. I also think he's gota lot of anger towards his dad that he isn't even aware of.

Only bad thing- I've been confiding in who I thought was a friend... she told her ds, who told people at his school. I hope it won't be a big deal, but I'm worried about it. :(

I hope this is the right step.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ResidentRedhead
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:08 PM

That place sounded horrible. I'm glad he's coming home. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:10 PM

Is his dad around? My son was gone for about 6 months due to mental health and quite a bit has to do with his father not being around consistently.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:20 PM
Not really. A month when he was 3. A day when he was 8. I did allow phone calls and letters when he's in prison. But that would be when dad wasn't too busy, mad at me (for not sending money) or whatever. When he got out, he'd practically forget about ds. But ds knows how half siblings got to spend time with dad in the beginning of their lives. I wouldn't allow it bc of drug use.

He called last Wednesday... I updated him on ds... he said he'd call the next day and never did, still hasn't. Imo, there's no excuse for that. Esp since he's sitting in prison, doing nothing!

In the last 6 months, ds sent him two letters- got nothing in return, holidays and even his bday went by with nothing.

At this point, ds has wiped his hands from his dad, but I think he's still mad about it, understandable.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Is his dad around? My son was gone for about 6 months due to mental health and quite a bit has to do with his father not being around consistently.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:23 PM
The er was crap... I get it, they couldn't anything for him, but it still angers me a bit.

The ward, I feel was great. All types of therapy, much needed structure (which I need to work on at home). He says he likes it there lol but I know other kids need help. It only has 16 beds, took 72 hours for one to open for him.

Quoting ResidentRedhead:

ResidentRedhead
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:26 PM

I must have missed where he was moved to the ward. Last I read they couldn't take him to children's. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: The er was crap... I get it, they couldn't anything for him, but it still angers me a bit. The ward, I feel was great. All types of therapy, much needed structure (which I need to work on at home). He says he likes it there lol but I know other kids need help. It only has 16 beds, took 72 hours for one to open for him.
Quoting ResidentRedhead:

FromAtoZ
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:28 PM

I don't know the entire situation but I do wish you all the very best.

I'm sorry the other mother felt it necessary to share with her son and that he talked about this around school. That speaks to their lack of character.

Keep in touch with the school, hopefully they are able to handle any given situation properly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:30 PM
For the shampoo, I had to go through this with DD: what they did in the psych ward was they kept shampoo locked up and then just gave her a tiny 3oz. portion cup of shampoo before she went in to wash her hair. If you're afraid that will make him feel too weird you can get a very small travel size container and fill it with shampoo each time before he uses the shower.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:33 PM
Good luck.
Countrygerl
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:34 PM
If you need to talk to someone feel free to message me. I am online at least once a day. I have a 8 year old dd that is on medication for her anger control issues. We took her to the er for it and they also did nothing. Her psychiatrist told us to send her to the closest hospital to get monitored but I think it is a bit drastic considering her issue has gotten better with age and medication and since her psychiatrist didn't ever talk to her once and just kept giving her different medicine to see what stuck. Had a total of three appointments. Yeah no going back to her. But feel free to talk to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:53 PM
Thank you everyone!

Things so far, have been good... well, somewhat lol I took away the Xboxes so he's a bit mad about that. I'm also not letting him use my tablet, his computer (except for school work) or his 3ds.

He ended up getting really bored and wanting to go back to the hospital- where there's things to do, 15 other kids to play with, etc. I'm not comfortable yet letting him go to the park by himself just yet. I'm not sure when that will happen. I feel like I'm gonna be in helicopter mode for quite a while... which I've never really done before so this is seriously really new.

He's getting ready for bed now, as am i. Again, thank you everyone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)