Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of this? Kid's sports and coaches

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 94 Replies
I just got an email from the head coach, who's son is on the team, that he will not continue as coach because his son broke his arm and will be out the rest of the season.

This is a minor b team, kids are 8 and 9. I feel the coach should continue whether his son does or not. He made a commitment.

What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
A commitment is a commitment, he's a dick for not following through.
mjande4
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:35 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm presuming he's a VOLUNTEER coach, which means he doesn't get paid and now has to help his son do his homework and other things that he didn't before.  Cut the guy some slack.  You can always step up and do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Volunteers can quit the job because they aren't paid?

I disagree completely.

Quoting mjande4:

I'm presuming he's a VOLUNTEER coach, which means he doesn't get paid and now has to help his son do his homework and other things that he didn't before.  Cut the guy some slack.  You can always step up and do it.

mompam
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:42 PM
What sport? That's really bad. The kid can go and watch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:43 PM
Baseball.

Quoting mompam: What sport? That's really bad. The kid can go and watch.
Famousglm714
by Gina on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Quoting Danesmommy1: A commitment is a commitment, he's a dick for not following through.
mjande4
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:44 PM

It's not ideal and, most likely not the norm, but things happen.  Find a solution instead of bitching about it.  He's under no contractual obligation like it or not.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Volunteers can quit the job because they aren't paid? I disagree completely.
Quoting mjande4:

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:46 PM
5 moms liked this

Coach is a shit head and only wanted to coach to make sure his son got prime positions and playing time. 

Kmary
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Well continuing on is the right thing to do, but I'd have to know all the circumstances.  Is he a single dad, by any chance?  If he is and his son can't play, he may be thinking it'd be tough on his son to have him go coach when the kid can't play.  I still think he should finish out the season, but I'm reserving judgment without knowing everything.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:49 PM
3 moms liked this

While he does have a commitment to the team...he has more of a commitment to his own child IMO. Most of those coaches are volunteer and can quit at any time with no explanation at all. The league just has to fill in the holes.Crap happens... what would you say if it wasn't a broken arm, but cancer or leukemia that the child ended up having and the coach had to quit due to hospital visits? Ten to one you would not be complaining about him quitting.. you would support his decision.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)