Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to correct this problem?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

Teenage neighbor girl spends most of her time here. She's informally been adopted into the family; she eats meals with us, she's got her own set of chores, she's got her own space for stuff that she brings over, etc. I stay in contact with her mom so that we're on the same page about things; like if she gets herself grounded from the tv she's not coming over here and watching tv anyway or if she's not doing what is expected of her at home.

The problem is that she used to make a conscious effort to not cuss over here. Now it's becoming an everyday thing. "What the shit?" is the most common line, but she also throws the f-bomb around a lot. I started with simply correcting her when it would happen, but it seems to be getting worse. It's starting to piss me off and I haven't got the slightest clue how to curb it.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Send her home. She is not your kid, and it if she won't respect your no cussing rule, she can not be there. Simple. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:24 PM
Tell her that like in her home she has to follow your rules, one of them being to chill with the cussing. If she can't abide by that rule she won't be allowed to come over as much, or at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:26 PM

I would just tell her that she is welcome as always and you will always be there for her but this is not allowed and if she keeps it up she will just have to go home and stay. I would make sure that she understood that it is the behavior you are not happy about and not her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:26 PM

I've considered it, but I really only want that to be the last resort. Part of the reason she spends most of her time here is that she and her mom don't get along. It's constantly a fight between them. She also has a tendency to just leave when things go south. If she's not allowed over here and she and her mom get into it, I don't know where she'll go.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Send her home. She is not your kid, and it if she won't respect your no cussing rule, she can not be there. Simple. 

lancet98
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:28 PM

Tell her she has to leave when she swears.  

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:29 PM
Tell her she either stops cussing or she isn't welcome over anymore.
angkorsaway
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:32 PM

Tell her, "You're like family and I have expectations for family with cussing. Please stop the swearing if you want to continue to hang out here" or something along those lines.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I've considered it, but I really only want that to be the last resort. Part of the reason she spends most of her time here is that she and her mom don't get along. It's constantly a fight between them. She also has a tendency to just leave when things go south. If she's not allowed over here and she and her mom get into it, I don't know where she'll go.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Make her write 100 times "I will use my polite manners with the ____ family".

And tell Mom she's not allowed to watch Archer anymore.

Don't text and drive.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:35 PM
Tell her not to swear anymore or don't come over. Does she have a crush on your teenage son or your husband?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:35 PM

Flat out tell her shes not welcome here if she continues to swear!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)