Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just walk kid, you can do it!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
So my 16 month old is not walking. We've had him evaluated twice per doctors orders and both times nothing has come back as anything to be concerned about. He's cruising along things, pulls himself up etc. He just won't walk, even finger walking.

How can I get him to walk or is this one of the just let it come in its own time thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:00 PM
It'll come when he's ready. 16 months isn't that late imo. I've known toddlers still crawling well past age 1. They just walked one day.
catonastick
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:02 PM

Don't rush him!! LOL

Enjoy this stage as long as you can.

Docgirl2000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:04 PM
He will probably do it in his own time. Personal story. My DS walked at 9 months. This was because my dh was dangling a set of keys he wanted to play with. DS was already standing so he just tottered his way over and snagged that keyring right out of dh's hand. We were all in shock. Long story short, ds got to play with the keys since he showed such a "miraculous" feat to get them.

You can try tempting him with things he wants but dont try to force him. His evaluations say he's fine, just let him go in his own time. Some are late bloomers. Nothing really wrong with that. I'm sure he's acceling in other areas.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
lol I know. We have four other kids so I'm enjoying this but I just worry because my other ones (except kid 3) were early walkers.

Quoting catonastick:

Don't rush him!! LOL

Enjoy this stage as long as you can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:06 PM
He is. When he was born he immediately lifted his own head and kept it up. He's always had great head control and arm strength. His doctor is amazed at how well he can throw things, we joke he's a future baseball pitcher.

We have 4 other kids so it's easy to compare them and go why isn't he doing xyz at this time etc.

Quoting Docgirl2000: He will probably do it in his own time. Personal story. My DS walked at 9 months. This was because my dh was dangling a set of keys he wanted to play with. DS was already standing so he just tottered his way over and snagged that keyring right out of dh's hand. We were all in shock. Long story short, ds got to play with the keys since he showed such a "miraculous" feat to get them.

You can try tempting him with things he wants but dont try to force him. His evaluations say he's fine, just let him go in his own time. Some are late bloomers. Nothing really wrong with that. I'm sure he's acceling in other areas.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:07 PM
That's how kid 3 was. He was always lazy then at 18 months he literally went from army crawling to pulling himself up then walking within 30 minutes. I was like wtf just happened.

Quoting KairisMama: It'll come when he's ready. 16 months isn't that late imo. I've known toddlers still crawling well past age 1. They just walked one day.
Docgirl2000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:11 PM
All children are different. I know its easy to compare. I only have 1 ds but several of my friends have boys the same age as my ds and I constantly am trying not to compare mine to their's. He'll be fine. Dont give up trying but dont push him if you know what I mean. One day out of the blue, he'll probably start running before he's ever started really walking. Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous 1: He is. When he was born he immediately lifted his own head and kept it up. He's always had great head control and arm strength. His doctor is amazed at how well he can throw things, we joke he's a future baseball pitcher.

We have 4 other kids so it's easy to compare them and go why isn't he doing xyz at this time etc.

Quoting Docgirl2000: He will probably do it in his own time. Personal story. My DS walked at 9 months. This was because my dh was dangling a set of keys he wanted to play with. DS was already standing so he just tottered his way over and snagged that keyring right out of dh's hand. We were all in shock. Long story short, ds got to play with the keys since he showed such a "miraculous" feat to get them.

Rosehawk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:14 PM

For the most part, it's something that happens when the kid is ready. ON AVERAGE kids don't walk until around 16 months or so. I'm willing to bet, once he starts, he'll be running a couple of days later. Then, you'll wish he was still crawling. :)

One thing we did with our kids: Sit on the floor opposite someone else, legs in a V shape and feet touching. Hold the kid by the waist/hips/hands and help them walk across the space to the other person. Praise the hell out of him for doing so well. Then, turn him around and do again, back to you. Keep going until he shows no more interest in the "game". My kids LOVED it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:16 PM
We can't wait until they take their first steps and say their first words and then all we want them to do is sit down and shut up...

He'll walk when he's ready. Necessity is the mother of invention. At some point cruising won't get him what he wants and he'll need to do something different.
1kidmomajm
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:17 PM

Does he have one of those push toys he can stand hold on to for balance and walk with? Maybe that would help. My ds walked at 9 1/2 months, no assistance, no lie. but he wasn't fully potty trained til 4 1/2 years. So your ds's time will come. I wouldn't worry yet as long as the doctor says he is developing fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)