Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My favorite day in grade school was...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

....the day the book mobile came in. All those different books in those free standing boxes! (Later we ordered from a piece of paper and they were shipped in boxes)

I just loved buying those new books just for me!

What was your favorite day in grade school?

(My second favorite day was when I got my first kiss in 1st grade)

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:48 PM
I loved books in elementary school too. Book fair days were great!

I also was pulled from regular classes on Wednesday afternoons for an advanced reading group, I quite enjoyed that in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:49 PM
Field day! I loved being outside all day and competing in the silly races.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:51 PM

We got ribbons for competing! I liked that day too! 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Field day! I loved being outside all day and competing in the silly races.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:52 PM

I don't know what it was, but I just loved getting a new book. The crisp clean pages, the smell.

I think I read all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy books! LOL!

Quoting Danesmommy1: I loved books in elementary school too. Book fair days were great! I also was pulled from regular classes on Wednesday afternoons for an advanced reading group, I quite enjoyed that in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:53 PM
I like Trixie Belden mysteries too! The scary Christopher Pike books, Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne MacCaffery made me feel so grown up too!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I don't know what it was, but I just loved getting a new book. The crisp clean pages, the smell.

I think I read all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy books! LOL!

Quoting Danesmommy1: I loved books in elementary school too. Book fair days were great!

I also was pulled from regular classes on Wednesday afternoons for an advanced reading group, I quite enjoyed that in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades.

MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:08 PM

Mickey Day.

The story goes that the school was so old that children used to bring raw potatoes in the mornings for lunch.  The custodian would put the potatoes on/around/near the wood stove that heated the building.  By lunchtime, the potatoes were cooked.

So once a year, we had Mickey day.  The PTA volunteers would dig a big pit on the playground and start a fire in there.  They'd cover it with dirt, then layer potatoes we'd all brought from home wrapped in foil, then more dirt.  By the afternoon, we were all eating mostly cooked, too hot, still dirty potatoes covered in squeeze margarine which some PTA mom, often with dirt still on her hands, squirted all over our potatoes whether we wanted it or not.

Awesome memories!!

Don't text and drive.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:09 PM
Yes the ribbons were the best part...along with the popsicles😂

Quoting Anonymous 1:

We got ribbons for competing! I liked that day too! 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Field day! I loved being outside all day and competing in the silly races.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2017 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe that is the most interesting thing I have heard in a long time!

Thank you for sharing this! Who knew!!!

Quoting MrsBieg:

Mickey Day.

The story goes that the school was so old that children used to bring raw potatoes in the mornings for lunch.  The custodian would put the potatoes on/around/near the wood stove that heated the building.  By lunchtime, the potatoes were cooked.

So once a year, we had Mickey day.  The PTA volunteers would dig a big pit on the playground and start a fire in there.  They'd cover it with dirt, then layer potatoes we'd all brought from home wrapped in foil, then more dirt.  By the afternoon, we were all eating mostly cooked, too hot, still dirty potatoes covered in squeeze margarine which some PTA mom, often with dirt still on her hands, squirted all over our potatoes whether we wanted it or not.

Awesome memories!!

Libby22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2017 at 9:55 AM
High Interests Days were my favorite followed closely by Track and Field Day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)