Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What makes a mother?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Legal rights? Biological connection? Something else?

Can children have more than one mother? Is being a mother all-or-nothing; is there no inbetween?

This is a bit of a spin-off from the surro-mama post. I was surprised how many people responded to tell the OP that she had no right to call herself a mama/mother/mom.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:11 PM
A mother raises her children, nurturing them, and helping ensure they grow into independent adults who contribute to society. She takes an active, DAILY role in their social, emotional, and academic growth.
HellHound
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:17 PM
I think its both someone who has given birth and someone who raises/takes care of a child.
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:18 PM

I had two mothers.  The one who gave birth to me and the one who raised me.

My mother, who raised me, was the one who was there when I was sick in the middle of the night, who soothed my nightmares, comforted me through my first heartbreak.  She held my hair when I threw up. She taught me things. She was patient when I wrecked my truck doing something stupid.  She supported me and made me feel like I could do anything.  She ran into my room in the middle of the night when I cried from a nightmare or was just scared. She let me climb in her bed at midnight, even as a teen, when I needed the comfort.  She didn't have to give birth to me to be my true mother. 

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:22 PM

There are different types of mothers...

Biological- a woman that gives birth to a child and then relinquishes her parental rights. 

Adoptive- a woman that adopts a child.

Foster- a woman that takes in a child that needs a home and cares for them as her own even though that child will most likely go back to his/her bio family after the plan has been worked.

Surrogate- a woman that carries a child for someone else and then relinquishes that child. 

Then, you have women that have carried a pregnancy, given birth and parent that child throughout its life. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:23 PM

You may be surprised by how much gray there is inbetween.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Biological- a woman that gives birth to a child and then relinquishes her parental rights. 

Foster- a woman that takes in a child that needs a home and cares for them as her own even though that child will most likely go back to his/her bio family after the plan has been worked.

Surrogate- a woman that carries a child for someone else and then relinquishes that child. 

Then, you have women that have carried a pregnancy, given birth and parent that child throughout its life. 

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:27 PM

There are also Grandparents raising children and being called the mother. They are the mother in that instance..

Siblings adopting siblings= parents

There are also mother figures in peoples' lives..

I just listed the most commonly seen around here. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

You may be surprised by how much gray there is inbetween.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

MissAndree
by Nosuchthing on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:32 PM

I think that both the woman that gives birth and the woman who raises the child are mothers. So biological and legal ties. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:35 PM

My sister is raising a child who is biologically and legally mine, though. And she's raising another child who isn't biologically related to her, and she can't adopt (she has permannet custody). Does that make her not their mothers?

Quoting MissAndree:

I think that both the woman that gives birth and the woman who raises the child are mothers. So biological and legal ties. 

MissAndree
by Nosuchthing on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:39 PM

If that is her role in those kid's lives, than she is mothering them. I raised my two nieces from the time they were 5 and 6 until they were grown. I mothered them for all of those years, but I wasn't their mother. However, if your sister, and those children, see her as their mother, more power to them. It isn't for me to say otherwise. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

My sister is raising a child who is biologically and legally mine, though. And she's raising another child who isn't biologically related to her, and she can't adopt (she has permannet custody). Does that make her not their mothers?

Quoting MissAndree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)