Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TB exposure

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:28 PM
  • 28 Replies
I am trying not to panic, but on the news it was announced that 189, high school students at the school, that my daughter's step brother attends has been exposed to Tuberculosis. I'm hoping that he wasn't one of the students. especially since my ex knew nothing about it when I called him. I am still going to call my daughter's doctor and do what I need to just to be on the safe side. And call my daughter's school as well. Which I kind of hate to do. I mean I may be causing an unnecessary panic. but I want to be sure too. she was at school today, so if she was exposed, kids at her school have now been too.

What a nightmare!
by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM

Just keep an eye out for symptoms. 

I was exposed to TB as a nurse. Took care of a patient for a few nights while she was on precautions, then a few more after she was taken off. Found out later she had tested positive for TB (no, I don't know exactly what happened to have her taken off).

I still don't get a positive PPD.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure it is as big of a deal as it seems, honestly.

The TB test is that skin test, and I think you can get on something good and quick and be totally fine. (If it was a huge deal, we'd hear about outbreaks a lot more than we do, you know?)

Try not to worry.

Lice would be worse.

yo_ho
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:37 PM

Just call his ped, I'm sure they will have him do a skin test. You can tell your DD's school too and let them know, but I doubt they will worry about it.

KyliesMom5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:38 PM
It may not be but I think the scary part for me is the not knowing at this point.

Quoting clairewait:

The TB test is that skin test, and I think you can get on something good and quick and be totally fine. (If it was a huge deal, we'd hear about outbreaks a lot more than we do, you know?)

Try not to worry.

Lice would be worse.

KyliesMom5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:41 PM
Yeah, the county is having students that were exposed at the school or on the bus tested. But I don't think they will do it for my daughter because she isn't a student there. So I'm not worried about that. I mean I will have my daughter tested through her doctors just to be on the safe side. They may not but I feel like I need to just let them know.

Quoting yo_ho:

Just call his ped, I'm sure they will have him do a skin test. You can tell your DD's school too and let them know, but I doubt they will worry about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:41 PM
This isn't true, once you're exposed you're exposed for life. It can be suppressed into latency via treatment & come back out at any time. It really IS a big deal, and a lot of other countries vaccinate for tb but we don't in America. While it's not contagious during the dormant timesmy there's always the chance an active infection will pop up.

Quoting clairewait:

Try not to worry.

Lice would be worse.

KyliesMom5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:43 PM
This makes me feel better. It was just kinda scary seeing that on the news. I was thinking "well Crap" when I saw it. I just want to make sure I do whatever it needed even if it turns out to be unnecessary.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Just keep an eye out for symptoms. 

I was exposed to TB as a nurse. Took care of a patient for a few nights while she was on precautions, then a few more after she was taken off. Found out later she had tested positive for TB (no, I don't know exactly what happened to have her taken off).

I still don't get a positive PPD.

JDMlover
by Summer&Lucille on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:17 PM
Yeah i saw that, I would freak to
Ruby80
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:20 PM
This happened at my oldest's high school a couple of years ago. I got panicky too. Called the doctor and they had me bring her in for a test. And calmed me down too.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:20 PM
My mom and sister had positive TB test, took meds and everything. I never got it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)