Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tennessee is offering free community college

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
I think this is great and it will be paid for by state lottery. I wish more states would do this.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2017 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 1:02 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 1:08 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 1:08 AM
I agree! When I graduated high school in 1984, community colleges had just started charging. It was suppose to be temporary. It was something like $3 a unit in California. I was surprised to learn how expensive it's become.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 1:10 AM
I saw on facebook that they are. I think it is wonderful idea. And not costing tax payer anything so people can't bitch about that

Quoting Anonymous 2: I agree! When I graduated high school in 1984, community colleges had just started charging. It was suppose to be temporary. It was something like $3 a unit in California. I was surprised to learn how expensive it's become.
RebeccaRaeV2
by Bex on May. 16, 2017 at 1:14 AM
That's awesome. Way to go there. I wonder what happens to those currently enrolled and paying?
Marie207
by on May. 16, 2017 at 1:17 AM

They will and should.  Our cities cc is not worth putting on your resume.  They are just a tiny pinch above high school. 

Mamavelt
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2017 at 1:18 AM

Yes, I remember when you could take 15 units for under $100.

But...in LA County a lot of the Community Colleges are participating in the LA Promise program which will make the first year at a junior college tuition free and they will pay for all math and english textbooks.

Kids have to graduate high school on time, go to a counseling session, apply for fafsa and take a summer bridge program which includes either a math or english cohort (whichever they test into) and a study skills class.

It really is a pretty fabulous opportunity!

Quoting Anonymous 2: I agree! When I graduated high school in 1984, community colleges had just started charging. It was suppose to be temporary. It was something like $3 a unit in California. I was surprised to learn how expensive it's become.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2017 at 1:25 AM
Good. Then they can move to another state and get a job. They're not going to find one in TN.
themoontree
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2017 at 1:26 AM
Its awesome!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 1:30 AM
That's a nice start, but in the "old days" all courses were free to everyone. It would be nice to get back to that level of free.

Quoting Mamavelt:

Yes, I remember when you could take 15 units for under $100.

But...in LA County a lot of the Community Colleges are participating in the LA Promise program which will make the first year at a junior college tuition free and they will pay for all math and english textbooks.

Kids have to graduate high school on time, go to a counseling session, apply for fafsa and take a summer bridge program which includes either a math or english cohort (whichever they test into) and a study skills class.

It really is a pretty fabulous opportunity!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)