Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you tattletale? ...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
A sleeping coworker on the graveyard shift.

It is really slow at night, from 1am to 5 am almost no patients most of the time.

I just started nights as my permanent schedule last week, and on my first night she went into the other office with a blanket, pillow, and heater for her "lunch break ". We get 30 minutes, sometimes an hour if we have overtime. Well, she was still asleep past the one hour mark. A nurse brought an Admit order to me, because this co-worker was not back there. I woke her up and gave her the order to go and put it in, she said okay and I left her. A few minutes later the nurse returned, and I woke her up again. She jumped up and said, "Oh, I forgot!" and then put the patient in. I was beyond bothered, so I asked the other girl if this was normal, she said yes we can sleep on our breaks.

Fast forward to tonight, she did it again. I am in the back so I did not witness it, but my other coworker just came to me complaining that she went to sleep at 1 am and still is asleep right now and it is 425.

Part of me wants to tell our supervisor, and the other part of me wants to warn her that I will tell if she does it again. From what I heard, she does this most nights.

Would you tell?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2017 at 5:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why-meee
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 5:29 AM
No. Just do your job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 5:32 AM
I know whistle blowing can backfire.

Quoting Why-meee: No. Just do your job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 5:34 AM
If it's harming others it's not being a tattletale.
Why-meee
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this
As long as your not doing her work just ignore it. I promise it will take care of itsself eventually.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know whistle blowing can backfire.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 5:38 AM
True. We are not doing her work. I don't want to lose my job behind her sleeping either, so I don't like witnessing this.

Hubby told me that a whole crew was fired at the refinery for covering up for a crew member sleeping.

Quoting Why-meee: As long as your not doing her work just ignore it. I promise it will take care of itsself eventually.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know whistle blowing can backfire.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 5:39 AM
I could possibly get in trouble for not saying anything, but more so she is hurting herself.

Quoting Anonymous 2: If it's harming others it's not being a tattletale.
ayacocca
by Lioness on May. 16, 2017 at 5:41 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2017 at 5:43 AM
My dad slept during his grave yard shifts for years. He actually had a blow up mattress, he set up every night. Getting a patient in the night was extremely rare, and if he did get one he wasn't dead tired. He did his job then went back to sleep. Actually in a few very rare family emergency instances we went to work with him. I remember sleeping on an x-ray table a few times.

I would just warm her next time she lets napping interfere with patients care she will be reported.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2017 at 5:46 AM
If it affects her job talk to her but otherwise ignore it. You just do your job and the right thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 5:46 AM
What does she say about sleeping at work?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I could possibly get in trouble for not saying anything, but more so she is hurting herself.

Quoting Anonymous 2: If it's harming others it's not being a tattletale.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)