Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Were you a step kid?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies
If so do you now have step children? How were your step parents to you? How are you towards your sk?
My SD raised me and was wonderful. My sm was evil towards me.
I treat my sks like they are my own. I love my dh and love his kids because they are part of him.
Do you see your sks as yours too? Why or why not?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2017 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on May. 16, 2017 at 9:11 AM
I was a step-adult. I don't have any steps, don't want any.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 9:12 AM
I became a step daughter in my 30s and I have no step kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2017 at 9:13 AM

I had a two step moms.  One i knew and one i didnt until my father passed away.  The one i knew was awesome and i had a better relationship with her than I did my mother.  But i grew up with grand parents as my custodial guardians.  I have no step kids.

2m2t
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2017 at 9:13 AM
No! I was not. I have no step skids and my children are not step kids, either. Same thing for my husband (we are both in our first marriage and have had no children before...)
batmanfanmom
by Member on May. 16, 2017 at 9:15 AM
I had a step mom and step dad as a child all 4 of my parents were failures. I feel like parents, step or not should all work together civially to make sure children are cared for and loved. I have no sk. If i ever got any I'd hope to build a good relationship with everyone.
Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2017 at 9:15 AM

Yes i am a stepchild.

Yes I have stepchildren

Never met my SM, my SF is amazing and stepped up big time when my bio dad died and is very involved in my life and my children's lives.

My stepkids are spoiled :) yes I treat them very well.

I see my stepkids as a part of my family. They're not MINE-I didn't give birth to them. But I do love them like I do my niece and nephews. The love I have for my DD is much different.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on May. 16, 2017 at 9:19 AM

I was a step kid twice. My mom's husband after my dad was nice but could get mean.  I now know he was possibly grooming me to start molesting me.

My mom's fourth husband was awful and a drunk.  I hated him, and I hated her for choosing to marry a man who adamantly didn't want to be a father.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2017 at 9:20 AM
Yes I was a sk. I have two sk's but we don't ever get to see them. I do love them tho and hopefully one day we can have more time w them.
Momtoone07
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2017 at 9:20 AM
I became a "step kid" at 37. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 16, 2017 at 9:20 AM
Yes, I was a step kid. My sm treated me almost like Cinderella. I was expected to clean the whole house (except her and my dad's bedroom) and be a built in babysitter for my 2 step siblings. I wore clothes from goodwill while her kids had name brand. The only reason I wasn't expected to cook was because she actually enjoyed cooking. My bm wasn't really around so I was stuck.

I am now a sm myself and learned extremely well the way NOT to treat my sk's. I treat them the same as I do my own kids. My dh has full custody of them (as did my own dad) so I've made sure to be there for them, make sure they always have what they need (and some of their wants as I do my bk's), all of the kids have 1 chore each, and provide them all with the same quality items. My sk's also know that I love them and that I'm glad they're a part of my life. We have an amazing relationship mainly because I learned the hard way how to treat them by being treated so crappily myself growing up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)