Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know what a heart attack is?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies
Since we are establishing that blood is never blue, I thought I'd ask a medical knowledge question that is actually important!

Do you know what a heart attack is?
Do you know the symptoms if a heart attack?
Do you know what to do if you think you are having a heart attack?
Do you know the risk factors for heart attacks?

This isn't a "laugh at everyone who doesn't know" post, so feel free to ask questions if you don't know. This is important for everyone to know, but particularly for women. More women die from their first heart attack than men, possibly because they don't recognize them as soon because we have always focused on the symptoms men experience when educating people.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2017 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 10:11 AM
I'm doing a presentation on heart attacks today actually. If my teacher ever shows up, she's 11 minutes late so far.
Trouser.Mouse
by on May. 16, 2017 at 10:12 AM
Yes. Have you posted this before?

People also need to know when a seizure is a medical emergency and when it isn't. I hate when people call 911, especially when I've specifically asked them not to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2017 at 10:13 AM
I don't have specific questions, so I'll just be following this for general information.
purplepiemom
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 10:15 AM

No questions. Just following.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM
I have once or twice (or similar topics, like the difference between a heart attack and a cardiac arrest).

I think it's good information to get out there, and I think some people have learned from posts like this is the past. Besides, sometimes juts nice to not have just bitchy posts on cm, right? ;)

People do freak out about seizures. But they are alarming to witness, so I can understand.

Quoting Trouser.Mouse: Yes. Have you posted this before?

People also need to know when a seizure is a medical emergency and when it isn't. I hate when people call 911, especially when I've specifically asked them not to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM
That's neat! Are you in school? What are you studying?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm doing a presentation on heart attacks today actually. If my teacher ever shows up, she's 11 minutes late so far.
Trouser.Mouse
by on May. 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM
I wasn't complaining. I just knew it sounded very familiar in the wording. I've done the same regarding seizures.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have once or twice (or similar topics, like the difference between a heart attack and a cardiac arrest).

I think it's good information to get out there, and I think some people have learned from posts like this is the past. Besides, sometimes juts nice to not have just bitchy posts on cm, right? ;)

People do freak out about seizures. But they are alarming to witness, so I can understand.

Quoting Trouser.Mouse: Yes. Have you posted this before?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM

yes.  i know all of those....just had a complete heart workup so find out why my pulse is so low

come to find out, the muscle relaxer i was on, was making it dangerously low --  you'd think a cardiologist would have known this --  NOPE!!!  

texanmommy
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 10:20 AM

I was recently told by the nurse on my insurance co's hot-line that pain in your shoulders (which I was experiencing) is a top indicator in women of a heart attack. I did not know that. I went to the ER. It was not a heart attack, yet. So I am taking it easy for a while! My dad died from a massive heart attack at the same age I am now. 

anxious

texanmommy
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Yikes!

Quoting Anonymous 4:

yes.  i know all of those....just had a complete heart workup so find out why my pulse is so low

come to find out, the muscle relaxer i was on, was making it dangerously low --  you'd think a cardiologist would have known this --  NOPE!!!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)