Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kicking the habits, why why why (vent/asking for advice)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies

I kicked the soda habit took 8 months. Been soda free 3 months. 

I kicked the sugar habit took 3 months. Been sugar-free 2 months. 

I kicked the sugar substitutes habit took 1 month. Been sugar substitutes free 1 month. 

I'm a social drinker maybe 2 or 3 drinks every 3 months or so that isn't a habit. I don't need to drink.

Why the fuck can I not kick the nicotine habit?? I've been smoking since I was 13. Wasn't even able to kick the habit while carrying my kids. I did cut way back but had the habit. I am now 42 years old, working on a healthy me and can not for the life of me kick this habit. 

Our insurance doesn't cover Chantix but will cover Wellbutrin but I can't take Wellbutrin as it makes me violent. 

I tried vaping yeah not the same feel or anything that was a big waste of money. I've been using the gum for 3 weeks, nothing. Next step the patches. Tried patches in the past but I don't think I really wanted to quit then. So we will see. 

I work out 5 days a week but my workouts are hindered by my smoking less lung compacity. 

I want this damn habit GONE. 

Any other suggestions ladies??

Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2017 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on May. 16, 2017 at 12:02 PM
Good luck!
_hummingbird_
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2017 at 12:03 PM
I'm sorry... I've never been a smoker. :(
Maybe patches and gum? A combo method??
(Is that even safe??)
Hugs and good luck.

Patti-Gee
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2017 at 12:03 PM

I used Chantix, and have been smoke free for 7 years.    I smoked for over 30 years. 

It can be done if you really want to quit smoking...

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on May. 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM

My husband swears that if you can go cold turkey nicotine free for 72 hours, the cravings will be reduced to the point that you can manage them.

Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I kicked the nicotine but can't kick the pop habit or the junk food/fast food habit.

When I quit smoking I used an app called quit now. It counted how many smokes you haven't smoked and calculates by smoke how much you have saved. Keeps track of when your body starts turning normal again, better heart, lungs etc.... Also has a forum to chat with people like this..... it was fun. I was addicted to it, even 2 years after I quit. lol

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM
If you can't take Wellbutrin, I wouldn't suggest Chantix anyway. I got a script for that years ago and after I read the literature, I wasn't taking that shit with my history. I don't have any ideas for you but good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Bangs head on the keyboard. Our insurance doesn't cover Chantix or I'd all over that bitch in a heart beat. I don't have $200 to shell out for 15 pills. Yes, I checked with my only pharmacy in town how much it would be if I went out of pocket.

Quoting Patti-Gee:

I used Chantix, and have been smoke free for 7 years.    I smoked for over 30 years. 

It can be done if you really want to quit smoking...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2017 at 12:07 PM
I've read that nicotine is as hard to quit as heroine. It's more than just a physical addiction, it's an emotional one as well. I realized that I was also self medicating some ADHD issues as well. Quitting turned me into a distractible ,cranky two yr old . 4 months smoke free and I still can't figure out how to manage my day in such a way that I don't forget things, stay on task, and stay focused. Every single day I wake up wanting to smoke. I always will. Quitting isn't something you do once, it's something I have to do every single moment of the day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 12:07 PM

It isn't advised to do both but there are some out there that do. LOL maybe worth to try but then I wonder of oding on nicotine.

Quoting _hummingbird_: I'm sorry... I've never been a smoker. :( Maybe patches and gum? A combo method?? (Is that even safe??) Hugs and good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 12:10 PM

Grabs the phone and looks for ap. 

I sooo want this habit gone. 

I had a break down in the gym last night because I was so out of breath after 30 minutes of just lifting. What I do get home, change my clothes and head out back to have a fucken smoke. :((

Quoting Sailor.Moon.Mom:

I kicked the nicotine but can't kick the pop habit or the junk food/fast food habit.

When I quit smoking I used an app called quit now. It counted how many smokes you haven't smoked and calculates by smoke how much you have saved. Keeps track of when your body starts turning normal again, better heart, lungs etc.... Also has a forum to chat with people like this..... it was fun. I was addicted to it, even 2 years after I quit. lol

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)