Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom just gave me an earful about our vacation - what do you think?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 324 Replies

So, what do you think?

We're planning a trip to Disney this summer with our 3 year old. As you know, we can drop a large chunk of change on this trip, I've already made hotel reservations, we will make the 8 hour drive to get there.

My mom bitched at me for ten minutes saying we were wasting our money on a trip that our DD won't even remember.  Got me thinking but I still think we're going to go.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2017 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM
4 moms liked this

i wouldn't take my 3 year old but i think your mom should bug out it's your trip and i'm sure she'll have a blast.

Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM
16 moms liked this
I'm sure she'll enjoy it but your moms right that she won't remember it long term. Take lots of pictures to show her when she's older.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this
We road tripped to Kansas from California when dd was 3. She's 7 now and still remembers some of it.
Go for it.
Creekie.
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM
7 moms liked this

She won't remember at all, that's certain.  However, she'll have fun at the time.  I fail to see the issue.  Just because she won't remember, does that mean you shouldn't celebrate her birthday for the first few years, or do anything fun?  We've gone on vacation every year since DD was 1.  I fail to see the issue. Go and have fun!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2017 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
We're going next year when ds is almost 3. Ignore her and enjoy your trip.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2017 at 1:24 PM
We live close to Orlando so we took our 3 year old but the tickets were won through a raffle at my husbands work. I wouldn't do what you're doing though.. 8 hour drive plus hotel for however long and Disney tickets for a 3 year old, no.
But it's your money, your trip, your mom doesn't have any say.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 16, 2017 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with her. I won't even take my 6 year old, lol. You know your kid better than me but my kid would be over it after waiting in line for 3 minutes.
OxbAbIebxO
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2017 at 1:25 PM

Honestly, we waited until our son was a little older to do Disney. There were pros and Cons.. he will remember it, but he was too "old" to really care about meeting characters or doing character meals and such. He's a ride junkie so it was nice that he got to go on most of the rides, and didn't need to stop for naps and stuff.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 16, 2017 at 1:25 PM
My MIL took all of our family to Disneyland when my kids were 4 and 18 months. My son doesn't remember anything about it, but my daughter does. Do what you want, but I'm sure that you'll want to go again when your child is older and can experience more rides.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 16, 2017 at 1:25 PM
3 moms liked this
My 8 year old has been to Disney 10 times (and we live in CT and always fly). If you go on family vacations frequently it doesn't matter. If you've saved for the last 3 years for a vacation I'm not sure I'd do Disney until she's older.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)