Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She thought the judge was going to side with her

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
My sister-in-law moved in with us following her divorce. We agreed that she could have her own bedroom and share a bathroom with the kids for $400 a month. We Drew up and signed a lease. Things were fine for the first couple of months but slowly she started really annoying me. Her rent did not include anything in the way of food except for she was welcome to join us for dinner. But she was constantly eating our food. Not just one or two things here and there but to the point where she wasn't buying any of her own groceries and would eat quite a lot. Is she would also do things like take hour-long showers when my kids are trying to get ready for school despite the fact that she had nowhere to be that day. But then she hit my car while backing out of the driveway. I guess she had it in Drive instead of reverse and she ran into the back of my bumper. I called her because she drove away when she did it she told me that it wasn't her that did it and somebody else must have pulled into the driveway in the middle of the night to back out and accidentally hit my car. Except she was parked behind me all night. I told her she needed to come back and either pay to fix my bumper or I was going to have to call the police. Where I live in order to make a claim against your insurance company for any kind of vehicular damage you have to have a police report. She refused to come back so I was left with no other choice but to call the police. They made a report and because I knew who did it they put a be on the lookout for her car. She was pulled over later on that day and the damage to the front end of her car a matched to the damage to the back end of my car. She was ticketed with a hit and run.

That night she didn't come back home. I called her a couple of times because despite the fact I was pissed in her I did want to make sure she was okay. It turns out that she was staying with my mother-in-law. I figured she just wanted to cool down.

Well a few days later I got a call that she got a job as a hairdresser on a cruise ship and would be leaving in two days. I asked when she was going to come get her stuff. Because everything in the room from the TV to the bedroom furniture was hers. She told me that she had come to pick up her clothes earlier that day when I wasn't home but that since she was going to be on a cruise ship she really had no need or room for her furniture and other things. She told me either leave the stuff in the room or get a storage locker move it into the storage locker and she would pay us back later. I told her no she needed to come get her stuff when she dropped off her rent that she still owed rent for that month. she threw a fit and said that I was being unreasonable and she's only been there for half of the month. We didn't hear from her after that. We tried getting into contact with her on Facebook and calldd and she ignored all of that. Finally about a month after she moved out we found out that I was pregnant and therefore would be needing this extra room. We went in there and decided that we were going to include everything in there in our yard sale that we were having next week. We also realize that the room was going to need to be repainted and recarpeted. It cost $150 to recarpet the floor and my husband had to repaint the walls. So at this point she was up to owing about $600. We sold everything in there at the yard sale and make $500 on the bedroom set and $75 on the TV. We figured we would just call it even.

She found out that we sold her stuff when she came back in town and she got mad but we figured she get over it. She took us to court. She sued for the $2,000 that her bedroom set was worth new and the $500 for TV was Worth new. We countersued for the $400 in rent, $200 in Damages and two months rent because she didn't give us proper notice. We used a standard lease which included a clause that if she moved out before the end of her lease she would have to pay 2 months rent. we would never have actually made her pay that but since she took us to court we figured we might as well throw it in. The judge explained to her that she cannot just leave her stuff behind and expect us to store it indefinitely. The judge said also that once she moved out anything that she left was forfeited so we didn't even have to accept that as payment for what she owed. She forfeited her stuff. The judge sided with us and she ended up having to Pay us $1,400!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2017 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2017 at 2:46 PM

lol..

Famousglm714
by Gina on May. 16, 2017 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL, good for you! I'd have done the same. Did she ever pay for the damage to the car? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM
Too long
WickedPissah
by awestomy on May. 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM
I got to the food. After that nope.
krisnkids
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Ha. That's awesome.

karen2112
by on May. 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM

She deserved it, but holidays are going to be awkward now. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Her insurance company ended up paying for it. But she's mad because she feels like I should not have reported the accident as her being the one hit me I should have just called and reported it as a hit and run and I didn't know who it was but then I would have had to pay a deductible. but she didn't think that was a problem

Quoting Famousglm714:

LOL, good for you! I'd have done the same. Did she ever pay for the damage to the car? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Who's to say she will be invited? I host the holidays

Quoting karen2112:

She deserved it, but holidays are going to be awkward now. 

Famousglm714
by Gina on May. 16, 2017 at 2:55 PM

What an ass! I'm glad it ended up working out for you though. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Her insurance company ended up paying for it. But she's mad because she feels like I should not have reported the accident as her being the one hit me I should have just called and reported it as a hit and run and I didn't know who it was but then I would have had to pay a deductible. but she didn't think that was a problem
Quoting Famousglm714:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2017 at 2:56 PM
Sorry you had to go through all of that but she needed that lesson in life. Glad the judge was reasonable!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)