Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you handle this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
I have a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old. My 6 yr old is in all day kinder and my 4 yr old is home with me all day. My 4 yr old has some delays and we do all kinds activities like playgroup twice a week, preschool 3 mornings a week, we go to the playground a lot, indoor play places, she has therapy in "fun" places a few times a week also.

My 6 yr old is extremely jealous of all the places her little sister gets to go. We do things with her on weekends and after school too but it's never enough. She throws tantrums almost every day when her little sister tells her what she did during the day. Just things like "sissy, I went to the playground then to the food store!" My 6 yr old will break down crying saying we never bring her to the grocery store and we don't love her as much. She's never been jealous before because before this year she was always included. I know she's feeling left out but I'm not sure how to handle it. Right now I basically just ignore her fits. What would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2017 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 4:08 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 4:33 PM
Ignore and send to her room.

I don't deal with that shit.
jules2boys
by on May. 16, 2017 at 4:37 PM
3 moms liked this

Talk to her about all of the things SHE gets to do that the 4yo doesn't, because she's older now and going to school during the day!  Are there other things she's allowed to do, perhaps on her own, that the 4yo isn't, because she's 'older' or 'bigger' now?  Ride a school bus? (even if it's just to a field trip or something)  Play on the playground with her friends at school and without mom around?  Go to the library with her class each week?  Anything that SHE can do because she's bigger that little sister can't do?  Build her up.  Or give her ideas she can share with her little sister to make little sister look forward to going to school in another year or two as well. 

Joelskatysmom
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 5:15 PM

My oldest is the same way...still does that sort of stuff of trying to make you fill guilty for any type of "fun" that he wasn't included in. DS is 12 and dd is 9, and I was so hoping he'd quit but he hasn't yet. If his sister gets sick and stays home, he gets mad because he didn't get to do the same. My husband and I meet up for lunch once or twice a month. If ds finds out, he's mad. No, he doesn't have anything wrong with him, he's just selfish and want's to do what he wants to do. He's also obsessive about things...drives me batty! For 4-6 weeks, all he talked about was wanting a fidget spinner. He mentions it more than once a day, does "research" on it every day. I'm NOT giving into obsessive behavior, and will tell him that. The more he talks about it, the more likely that he'll never get one.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2017 at 5:16 PM
Make a huge deal out of all the fun stuff she does at school and all the friends she has there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)