Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEP mamas

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
Does having adhd a reason to get an iep.?

Also. When i go to this iep meeting. What should i bring. Anything? Nothing? I have been to a few similar meetins this year bht this one seems the most important and i want to be ready
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2017 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2017 at 5:48 PM
Yes because it'll give them more time on tests or whatever additional resources they need
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2017 at 5:49 PM
Ds has it for his adhd. I didn't take in anything, but the school has great resources. idk if ALL schools do.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2017 at 5:49 PM

I have no clue. My daughter doesn't have that. I don't know everything that needs and IEP. The school would know that. I never bring anything with me.

LadyAmaranth
by on May. 16, 2017 at 5:50 PM

Yes, adhd can be a reason to get an IEP. You should ask your childs doctor/therapist and talk to the school. The school will want to do more testing, for their own paperwork trail, and to see specific needs as well as paperwork confirming the adhd diagnosis.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2017 at 5:50 PM
Yes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2017 at 5:51 PM
In our district they don't do IEP's for ADHD unless it is listed as OHI (other health impairment) or ED (emotionally Disturbed).
504's are most commonly written for students with ADHD that require some accommodations.
SueWanda
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2017 at 5:51 PM
It depends. Are the symptoms of his/her ADHD educationally impactful?

If so, can s/he be served with a 504 plan (accommodations)?

An IEP means the child needs speciallly designed instruction in order to access education.

Bring something supporting the medical diagnosis and a list of your educational concerns.
mrsary
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2017 at 5:52 PM
504 for ADHD... I think
cmfarm
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 5:52 PM

My son has one for ADHD. The school did a bunch of tests on him and then I had to get a diagnosis from his doctor (because it is under medical contitions).

mrsary
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2017 at 5:53 PM
Same here

Quoting Anonymous 4: In our district they don't do IEP's for ADHD unless it is listed as OHI (other health impairment) or ED (emotionally Disturbed).
504's are most commonly written for students with ADHD that require some accommodations.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)