Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

My 24 yo daughter asked to bring her new boyfriend  over for a cookout we were having this past weekend.  We are white and her friend is African American.  He is a great guy and my husband really like him a lot!  Honestly he makes our daughter happy and treats her great.  That is all that matters to my husband and I.  

The problem is going to be with my parents accepting him into the family.  They are racist and I see a fight coming with my parents.

my question is what woukd you all do in this situation?

There is no question about my DH and I.  We are happy for our daughter and support her fully.  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2017 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
morgiefae
by on May. 16, 2017 at 6:00 PM
3 moms liked this

I would do nothing but distance our family from the ones that would cause my child pain. 

monshine2
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2017 at 6:00 PM
Tell your parents to get over it because she's happy.
Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2017 at 6:01 PM

we're going through this now with SD16-BM's bf has made several unnecessary comments.

In your situation I would simply tell your parents to accept their granddaughter is an adult and free to make whatever choice she wants when it comes to a spouse.

They have no say over her dating life and are free to leave.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a feeling that is what is going to happen.. 😕

Quoting morgiefae:

I would do nothing but distance our family from the ones that would cause my child pain. 

MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2017 at 6:01 PM
Yup.

Quoting monshine2: Tell your parents to get over it because she's happy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 6:03 PM

See...what is happening to you SD is so wrong.  I will definitely support my daughter.  

Quoting Tigress22304:

we're going through this now with SD16-BM's bf has made several unnecessary comments.

In your situation I would simply tell your parents to accept their granddaughter is an adult and free to make whatever choice she wants when it comes to a spouse.

They have no say over her dating life and are free to leave.

Ruby80
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2017 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest girl's boyfriend is Korean, we're white. I love that kid.
But to answer your question, I had to tell certain family members to either act like adults or don't come around. That my daughter is happy and in a healthy relationship.
And they can take their nasty comments elsewhere. And we've heard some nasty ones.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 16, 2017 at 6:03 PM

You are right!  

Quoting monshine2: Tell your parents to get over it because she's happy.

Theresa1209
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2017 at 6:05 PM
I would let the fight happen and let your daughter make the decision on who to cut out of her life. It won't be her boyfriend.

Honestly, if the grandparents think they're hatred toward black people is stronger than their love for their grand daughter, then they're doing her a favor. Let them show her their true colors
Malissa1578
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2017 at 6:06 PM

I would tell them to accept it as he makes my daughter happy if not then stay away because I will not let them disrespect or verbally hurt either of them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)