Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I ungrateful????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I have been trying to scale back on bills....mostly out of necessity. I decided to get rid of my car with a $400+ car payment, among other things. My ex-FIL knew this and looked for some cars for me. I saw one I liked but the dealer was closed. We live 90 miles from the dealers but ex-FIL lives 10 minutes so he said he would drive the car the next day. He did...and called to say it drove nice blah blah blah. I asked him to have a mechanic check it out and if it was good I would buy it. Well, ex-FIL bought the car....without asking me and without checking it out. MIND YOU EX-FIL DID NOT PAY FOR THE CAR. He signed the contract arranged to co-sign a loan that I will pay.

Day 1 it pulled drastically to the right. Day 2 the instrument cluster started going on and off and showing error codes. I took it in to my mechanic and he listed a ton of work. To there is no way ex-FIL did not notive vibratjng brakss, bad alignment, and a flashing dash. I told ex-FIL and he said he would negotiate the price and pay half. This did NOT include the instrument cluster which can only be done from the dealer for $1700!!! I was not happy but I do like the car...and sold my old one and have this loan.

So ex-FIL negotiated the work and it was done earlier this week. FIL would not pay for the alignment and apparently told the mechanic not to do it. Also, the back brakes were not included. So I paid half today...$354.50...and still need an alignment and back brakes done ASAP, which is another $400...plus the dash.

I am pretty pissed off. Yes, I should have checked the car out myself. Yes, I know that ex-FIL is a freaking control freak and this could happen...but my ex husband says I am being "ungrateful" and I want everything handed to me "on a silver platter". I did NOT ask ex-FIL to buy the car. I DID ask him to have it checked out and he did not. The only reason I am downsizing is because my ex-husband refuses to get a real job and my CS was cut from $2466 to $613.

So am I ungrateful?????
Posted by Anonymous on May. 20, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 20, 2017 at 12:31 AM

if he signed the paperwork you did NOT have to agree to it. They need your signature but I would have gone fora test drive and more bfore I signed.You're not ungratful you're pissed because you're stuck with a car that does not work. I'd take it back and tell them to go  after exfil. I'd flatout tell him thanks for the help but since your daughter reuses to pay child support iI can't afford all the repairs for the lemon you decided to have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 20, 2017 at 12:32 AM
Why did you sign the loan papers?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 20, 2017 at 12:36 AM

sounds fishy.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on May. 20, 2017 at 12:37 AM
I don't know about ungrateful but it seems to me that you allowed this to happen. He couldn't take out a loan for you without your permission. Lesson learned though, next time just say no thanks & handle whatever it is yourself.
Boobear110
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2017 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't you have a lemon law in your state ? Bring it back to the dealer 

xoch86
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2017 at 12:39 AM

This, times 10!!

take that shitty car back, and tell them you will not be responsible for a loan you didn't sign for.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

if he signed the paperwork you did NOT have to agree to it. They need your signature but I would have gone fora test drive and more bfore I signed.You're not ungratful you're pissed because you're stuck with a car that does not work. I'd take it back and tell them to go  after exfil. I'd flatout tell him thanks for the help but since your daughter reuses to pay child support iI can't afford all the repairs for the lemon you decided to have.

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2017 at 12:41 AM
If your name is not on the loan papers. I would drop the car off at ex fils house and wipe my hands clean of it.
ejkdmom
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2017 at 12:45 AM
No, you are not ungrateful. Naive perhaps.

Did you end up signing anything? If you did, you are more than likely out of luck. Bet the sales contract has the words as is in it. If not, you are not legally obligated. Return the car.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 20, 2017 at 12:46 AM
That's to how it works. He can't apply for a loan on your behalf. He can't sign loan papers for you as a cosigner unless you applied and then NEEDED a cosigner due to lack of credit. You are a complete and total idiot if you gave him a penny if he signed a loan for himself to get the car and he just assume you'd pay him.

I don't know how many of you made it so far in life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 20, 2017 at 12:49 AM
He can't sign a loan without you.

But no, you're not ungrateful. Just a bit lacking in the assertiveness category.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)