Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I ungrateful????

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have been trying to scale back on bills....mostly out of necessity. I decided to get rid of my car with a $400+ car payment, among other things. My ex-FIL knew this and looked for some cars for me. I saw one I liked but the dealer was closed. We live 90 miles from the dealers but ex-FIL lives 10 minutes so he said he would drive the car the next day. He did...and called to say it drove nice blah blah blah. I asked him to have a mechanic check it out and if it was good I would buy it. Well, ex-FIL bought the car....without asking me and without checking it out. MIND YOU EX-FIL DID NOT PAY FOR THE CAR. He signed the contract arranged to co-sign a loan that I will pay.

Day 1 it pulled drastically to the right. Day 2 the instrument cluster started going on and off and showing error codes. I took it in to my mechanic and he listed a ton of work. To there is no way ex-FIL did not notive vibratjng brakss, bad alignment, and a flashing dash. I told ex-FIL and he said he would negotiate the price and pay half. This did NOT include the instrument cluster which can only be done from the dealer for $1700!!! I was not happy but I do like the car...and sold my old one and have this loan.

So ex-FIL negotiated the work and it was done earlier this week. FIL would not pay for the alignment and apparently told the mechanic not to do it. Also, the back brakes were not included. So I paid half today...$354.50...and still need an alignment and back brakes done ASAP, which is another $400...plus the dash.

I am pretty pissed off. Yes, I should have checked the car out myself. Yes, I know that ex-FIL is a freaking control freak and this could happen...but my ex husband says I am being "ungrateful" and I want everything handed to me "on a silver platter". I did NOT ask ex-FIL to buy the car. I DID ask him to have it checked out and he did not. The only reason I am downsizing is because my ex-husband refuses to get a real job and my CS was cut from $2466 to $613.

So am I ungrateful?????
Posted by Anonymous on May. 20, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Replies (11-17):
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on May. 20, 2017 at 12:50 AM
Lemon laws usually only apply to new cars.

Quoting Boobear110:

Don't you have a lemon law in your state ? Bring it back to the dealer 

Boobear110
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2017 at 12:59 AM

Oh good thing to know . Still I think she should at least fight to return the car for another one before dishing out more money 

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Lemon laws usually only apply to new cars.
Quoting Boobear110:

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on May. 20, 2017 at 1:04 AM
I mean, if she has any way to return it, I agree. I just know that in many states, used cars are as is unless you're specifically given a written warranty. I am curious about the loan situation though since she made it sound like he just went off & bought the car because if she didn't sign for the loan, it's really nothing to do with her & she could just give it to ex fil since he purchased it.

Quoting Boobear110:

Oh good thing to know . Still I think she should at least fight to return the car for another one before dishing out more money 

Quoting Boobear110:

Boobear110
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2017 at 1:08 AM

Right . It did sound that way but then she said he co signed a loan for her? So if that was it she had to sign something. 

I bought a car ( used) from a dealer and the freaking starter went the next day. I called that place like a lunatic . I got a loaner and didn't have to pay a dime for the repairs . It sometimes pays to be a little crazy. Of course I was almost crying too because i had just traded my truck in on this stupid car and had no other way to work . I pulled the single mom card too. 

Quoting bluebunnybabe: I mean, if she has any way to return it, I agree. I just know that in many states, used cars are as is unless you're specifically given a written warranty. I am curious about the loan situation though since she made it sound like he just went off & bought the car because if she didn't sign for the loan, it's really nothing to do with her & she could just give it to ex fil since he purchased it.
Quoting Boobear110:

Quoting Boobear110:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 20, 2017 at 1:14 AM

Quoting Boobear110:

Lemon laws do not usually appy to secondhand cars.

Boobear110
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2017 at 1:22 AM

I've been told and I didn't realize that . I thought it was FOR secondhand cars .

Quoting Anonymous 7:

Quoting Boobear110:

Lemon laws do not usually appy to secondhand cars.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on May. 20, 2017 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Hey, sometimes you pull whatever card you have to! I'm glad they took care of it for you. I just woke up so I'm going to see if she ever answered anyone about the loan.

Quoting Boobear110:

Right . It did sound that way but then she said he co signed a loan for her? So if that was it she had to sign something. 

I bought a car ( used) from a dealer and the freaking starter went the next day. I called that place like a lunatic . I got a loaner and didn't have to pay a dime for the repairs . It sometimes pays to be a little crazy. Of course I was almost crying too because i had just traded my truck in on this stupid car and had no other way to work . I pulled the single mom card too. 

Quoting bluebunnybabe: I mean, if she has any way to return it, I agree. I just know that in many states, used cars are as is unless you're specifically given a written warranty. I am curious about the loan situation though since she made it sound like he just went off & bought the car because if she didn't sign for the loan, it's really nothing to do with her & she could just give it to ex fil since he purchased it.

Quoting Boobear110:

Quoting Boobear110:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN