Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Structured summer?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I will be off with my kids. They are 6, 7, and one. I'm considering whether I should do structured units for them.

I was simply thinking of having ten units. It would consist of reading about a topic and end with a visit to a place that connects to the theme.

If we do Black History week then we will read about Black History all week and then visit our local black history musuem. I'd also add in some math.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2017 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2017 at 12:33 AM

I start with good intentions like "you are going to read every day for 30 min. and do some worksheets" and that lasts two days haha

We are traveling all summer, so that'll be their education this year. 

stacey541
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2017 at 12:41 AM
I just read some article about how having unstructured summers are better for kids. My kids will be structured though, they are in a summer program while we work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 12:42 AM
Wow. Where are you going? We live in Maryland so we will go up and down the Jersey Shore, DC, Philly, and maybe New York. We also have two beach trips planned

Quoting JulyBabies:

I start with good intentions like "you are going to read every day for 30 min. and do some worksheets" and that lasts two days haha

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 12:43 AM
I worry that their skills will get dull.

Quoting stacey541: I just read some article about how having unstructured summers are better for kids. My kids will be structured though, they are in a summer program while we work.
stacey541
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2017 at 12:46 AM
I worry the same. At a minimum we work on reading, my dd struggles alot with reading. I always have plans to do more but it goes by so fast!

Quoting Anonymous 1: I worry that their skills will get dull.

Quoting stacey541: I just read some article about how having unstructured summers are better for kids. My kids will be structured though, they are in a summer program while we work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2017 at 12:46 AM

Summer is about relaxing and doing fun stuff or whatever comes to mind....Why do they need constant structure? They are kids, let them be kids..... they will soon turn 18 and have to be responsible for the rest of their lives.

bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2017 at 12:49 AM
My kids go to a summer program at the school
In June
And a summer park program in July
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 26, 2017 at 12:50 AM
I homeschool all year, so it's hard to just stop. My youngest isn't excelling in language arts like his siblings, so I'm even more torn. Realistically, I'll keep it under 2 hours/day if I decide to continue schooling during the summer.
Left.Right.Left
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2017 at 12:52 AM
I have my kids in several different camps all summer. Bike camp, soccer camp, art camp, science camp, gymnastics camp, sport camp, church camp and preschool camp.
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2017 at 12:54 AM

Quoting Anonymous 1: Wow. Where are you going? We live in Maryland so we will go up and down the Jersey Shore, DC, Philly, and maybe New York. We also have two beach trips planned
Quoting JulyBabies:

We are traveling around Europe so they will definitely be learning along the way.

Sounds like you have alot going on, don't worry too much about the book stuff. Life experiences can't be learned in the classroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)