Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Childhood depression

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
I think it is possible my 9 year old son suffers from depression. There is no diagnosis yet, though. We have an appointment scheduled for early June, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about this and possible medication. I want to be as informed as possible before making big decisions with the doctor.

Have any of you had children who were diagnosed with depression? If yes, what did treatment look like? How helpful was the treatment? And is there anything that you would strongly suggest I do or strongly suggest I avoid doing?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2017 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on May. 26, 2017 at 8:47 AM

My boy turned 11 in March and he has it.  Granted, we lost both my parents within 4 months of each other and he was close to them.  I have him in grief counseling.  It has been hard because I have been depressed as well. He is getting better.  I don't have him on meds because I don't like the side effects they have on kids.

Talk to your doctor, there is help out there.  Hang in there

ComeWhatWill
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2017 at 8:47 AM
I had depression as a child, though I was never treated (my parents thought I just needed to "get over it").

Just be open, educate yourself, and work with him and his doctors. Don't make him feel bad about himself, don't pressure him, and be open to the various forms of therapy that are out there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2017 at 8:49 AM
I'd stay clear of medication at that age. When I was diagnosed as a child, it was very difficult to find a medication because of my age. But that was 20 years ago, things might be different.
Therapy is a huge positive and don't settle for just anyone. Make sure he is comfortable with whoever you choose.
Support groups for him and for you. Family therapy will help everyone to understand and work together in his treatment.
When he's starting to feel better don't stop treatment, keep going.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 26, 2017 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I haven't had a child diagnosed but I was a child diagnosed. My depression started at 7yr old after my grandma died while babysitting my brother and I. It didn't cause it but triggered it coming out. The school treated me for awhile but it only worked when I went to school. I was not professionally treated until 12yrs old by which time I had stopped attending school regularly for years and had completely isolated myself. I was put on medication and put in therapy. It was not effective because I spent so long untreated I resented my mother finally stepping in to act like she cared. It was not until adulthood that I regularly took my meds and worked to treat my depression.

Biggest thing is don't wait and don't let him isolate himself. Understand that as a small child he does not understand why he is this way and he needs your love and caring to manage it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 26, 2017 at 9:00 AM
Yes!
My 10yr old suffers from resistant persistant depression. Its VERY difficult.

First, Id suggest the Genesight test. They have a website. Genesight is a cheek swab test that tells you what meds will be effective and what will NOT (and cause more difficulty) with your childs DNA. Many Drs will claim its not accurate, BUT I have several friends (us included) who have done the test and its been very accurate for ALL of our children.

The meds Drs suggested BEFORE genesight which were awful for my kid (and made him crazy! More anxious, dysregulated, nauseous) were listed in the "red zone" with his DNA" section and the ones that have been beneficial were in the "clear".

Then I would also look for s psychologist who works with psychiatrist who does DBT and or CBT therapy. Not "talk" therapy or any of that... But 12-15 sessions of GOOD DBT will help and show at least some positive outcome.

I'd probably also look to have your child educationally tested to see if there is any underlying issue causibg tge depression. Many of my friends have found co-morbid learning challenges that were effecting their child.
Mine has a chemical imbalance so getting his seratonin & neonephrine up with an off label med has helped since January. Yay!

Meds and therapy are proven to be THE most effective way to help depression.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)