Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bottle propping

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
If you bottle fed did you still hold the bottle when your baby was capable of holding the bottle on their own? Did you sit down with them for every feeding?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2017 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2017 at 8:47 AM
I held them, held the bottle, and bonded like crazy!
Not_A_Native
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2017 at 8:48 AM

I held them and held the bottle.  Even when they could hold the bottle themselves (usually before they could sit up), I still held THEM.  Never propped a bottle, bottle fed 4 babies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 26, 2017 at 8:49 AM
Uh, a baby holding their own bottle is not the sane thing as propping.
Olioxenfree
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2017 at 8:50 AM
I usually breatfed, but gave them breastmilk in a bottle if i was busy around the house or when I was out. Once they could hold their own bottle, I didnt hold it for them anymore. I didnt sit with them, but I was always in the same room and keeping an eye on them in case they choked or dropped the bottle.
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2017 at 8:52 AM
Isaac was held for every single bottle feed from birth until I made him take a soppy cup at 14 mos old. If he was hungry in the car I sat in the back and held his bottle while talking to him. There is ZERO reason to bottle prop EVER! If you are nursing you can't cut off your boob and prop that so why would I simply because I bottle fed?

Quoting Anonymous 1: If you bottle fed did you still hold the bottle when your baby was capable of holding the bottle on their own? Did you sit down with them for every feeding?

Why-meee
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2017 at 8:52 AM
I prop it often.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 26, 2017 at 8:53 AM

Women have been propping bottes for centuries.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 8:54 AM
My mother recently visited and called me lazy because I handed DD who is 10 months her bottle while she was laying down on her play mat while I was doing dishes. She said it's exactly the same as bottle propping and I should still be holding the bottle for her. Typically I hold her, not the bottle, unless she's hungry while I'm in the middle of something.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

I held them and held the bottle.  Even when they could hold the bottle themselves (usually before they could sit up), I still held THEM.  Never propped a bottle, bottle fed 4 babies.

eztwins
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2017 at 8:56 AM
Well propping a bottle is different than baby holding their own bottle.

I held them till about 6 or seven months whether I held it or them but once they were mobile and on solids they often took it on the run.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 9:03 AM
That's my thing, I don't see it as the same. I never propped when she was unable to hold it on her own, allowing her to feed herself without me holding her is a new thing and she definitely doesn't allow me to hold the bottle at all. She'll pull my fingers off and hold my hand whole one handing the bottle or put both hands on the bottle.

Quoting eztwins: Well propping a bottle is different than baby holding their own bottle.

I held them till about 6 or seven months whether I held it or them but once they were mobile and on solids they often took it on the run.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)