Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handmedown underwear and shoes?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
If you hand down your oldest child's clothes to a younger one do you hand down everything including shoes and underwear?

In our family we've always passed down clothes to the younger kids both in immediate family but also extended family but shoes socks and underwear were never passed down, those were always new.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM
No. Shoes, socks, bathing suits and under garments are always bought new.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Under garments are never handed down or bought used. Shoes are sometimes bought used.

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2017 at 10:28 AM
My boys are 13 months apart. By ages 2&3 they were the same size. So underwear , socks , pjs , pants and shirts were shared. They had their own but often choose something belonging to the other. Shoes were never shared. We passed down clothes never socks or undies. Shoes were passed down. My kids got new shoes every 3 months as toddlers. I bought leather shoes and either sneakers or boots depending on the time of year. Their shoes were in great shaped when passed on .

Quoting Anonymous 1: If you hand down your oldest child's clothes to a younger one do you hand down everything including shoes and underwear?

In our family we've always passed down clothes to the younger kids both in immediate family but also extended family but shoes socks and underwear were never passed down, those were always new.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Shoes and socks yes. Unless they are not in good shape like holes. Underwear no.

ilovemykids323
by on May. 26, 2017 at 12:43 PM

yes at this point though my boys are to the age were they either wear it out or it's not able to be passed down do to stains or whatever else could possibly happen to the items lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 26, 2017 at 12:44 PM

when they were little... yep. Swimsuits, too.

they all get washed.. and even *gasp* washed together.  Shoes.. no biggie, unless a child has an unusual foot shape.

caustinb
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2017 at 12:45 PM
Maybe snow boots or dress shoes. Something that gets minimal use. Occasionally some cleats survive. Not anything else.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 26, 2017 at 12:46 PM
Shoes yes. My oldests shoes were always in great shape when he was younger. My 2yo wore them and now the new one will wear them. Once my oldest hit 4 that's when he stated really wearing down his shoes so we always got rid of them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 26, 2017 at 12:48 PM

No to both
You should never wear someone elses shoes...everyone has a unique foot imprint and walking style that will change a shoe....so if you wear someone elses shoes it can actually fuck up your feet

and socks/undies are cheap enough I can just buy new ones for everyone

handy0318
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Never used shoes, socks, underwear and swimsuits. Just nope to those. 

My kids are older girl, younger boy, so no hand me downs between the two of them... however, their grandmother is a die hard thrift store addict and I had to tell her no to the above items. I about died the time she bought my dd some flip-flops that had stains from the previous owner...gag..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)